Early Fire Companies in Lexington KY
Lexingtons first regular fire company was organized at Brents
tavern in 1790, with John Bradford as secretary. It was styled the Union Fire
Company, and used buckets only. Before this, in case of a fire, each citizen was
required, when the alarm was given, to attend with a bucket filled from his own
well. The Union companys "buckethouse" was a building on Main,
near Scotts block. Later, it was on Water street, and was finally
converted into an engine house. In 1805, the officers of the "Union"
were: CaptainsDanl Bradford, Christopher Keiser; DirectorsWilliam
Macbean, George Anderson, John Jones, Alexander Frazer, Thomas. Hart, Jr., John
Jordan, Jr., Thomas Bodley, Alex. Parker, Charles Wilkins, Lewis Sanders,
William Ross, Thomas Whitney, Maddox Fisher. The trustees passed a resolution in
1812, authorizing a committee "to procure four additional ladders, four
fire-hooks, three rope-ladders, and three tubs to put under the pumps, all to be
marked with the name of the company, etc., and a fine of ten dollars imposed on
any person who will use them, unless in case of fire." In 1818, two little
"newly invented" engines were bought by the town authorities. They
attracted great attention and admiration.
The fire department was organized in 1832, when the city was incorporated.
In 1840, the city could boast of the "Kentuckian," "Lyon,"
and "Resolution" hand engines, and others were added from time to
time. The period included between 1850 and 1860 was the golden age of the fire
companies in Lexington. Then the Fourth of July was the day of their glory, and
the old Lyon, Clay, Kentuckian and other engines, with their hose carriages,
were resplendent with beautiful decorations fashioned by the ladies of the city.
Three hundred firemen have been known to turn out in procession on such
occasions, presenting a splendid appearance with their brilliant uniforms and
gay trappings. But these are memories of an age which ended with the purchase of
the first steam fire engine, in March, 1864. The "Lyon" engine house
was on Limestone street, near the corner of Hill; the "Clay," on
Broadway, between Short and Second, now known as Prudens marble works; the
"Union," on Short, between Upper and Limestone, is now the
headquarters of the steam fire department.
Source: History of Lexington Kentucky: its early annals and recent
progress, George W. Ranck, Cincinnati: Robert Clarke & Co., 1872, pp.
164-165.
Transcribed by pb November 1999 |