Submitted by to mail list and used here with permission.


Somerset, Ky., Friday April 9, 1920.

The Cumberland Has The Attention of Congress Again.  Robsion Trying This
Time.  Every new Congressman from the 11th District has one bobby when he
gets to Washington and that is the improvement of the Cumberland River.  
They all make a big blow at the beginning but nothing ever comes from it. 
Now here comes Congressman Robsion with a long newspaper story and we hope
every word of it is true.  Here it is:  Washington, April 4 - "The Cumberland
River will be navigable from Burnside, Ky., to Nashville, Tenn., the year
round if plans now being taken up with the War Department by Representative
J.M. Robsion, Eleventh Kentucky District, are carried out.  It will provide
transportation means for five Kentucky counties now without railroad
facilities and with water transportation only during the flood seasons. 
Locks and damns already built in the Cumberland River are insufficient to
provide year round transportation and such transportation will not be
available until other dams are constructed.  Preliminary surveys already have
been made by Government engineers, but no project has been carried out
because bonds of indemnity must be issued by the counties or the citizens of
the territory to protect the Government against possible damages and the
counties of Kentucky wheretofore have not had authority to guarantee such an
indemnity.  Following meetings held in the counties in the Cumberland Valley,
looking toward the improvement of the river, Mr. Robsion today took the
matter up with the War Department.  If the guarantee is made the government
to protect against loss it is probably that the survey will be made
preparatory to the improvement of the river.  Construction of the dams would
enable farmers in Russell, Cumberland, Monroe, Clinton and Wayne counties to
market products which they are now unable to get to market, Mr. Robsion said.
 In the summer many of the farmers have to drive forty miles or more to the
nearest railroad over rough roads and their products perish before the
destination is reached.  When the river is navigable during the flood seasons
the roads are so bad that farmers cannot get to the boats."

Stock Sales.  Captain C.A. Mercer, auctioneer, has held a sale every day
during the past week.  He reports the following sales:  W.H. Haynes, Alcalda;
J.C. Hail, Camp Ground; B.F. Hamilton, Alcalda; Lawrence Camden, Luretha;
H.W. Bowman, Somerset; and John Ware, Science Hill.  Mr. Mercer says all
stock and crops brought big prices.  Corn around $1.75, hay $1.70, fodder
$4.00, oats $4.25.

Offered Appointment.  Mr. Jean V. Smith of the insurance firm of Ben V. &
Jean Smith, was offered the position of State Superintendent of the Hartford
Fire Insurance Co.  This is quite a compliment to this hustling young man. 
Mr. Smith declined the appointment at this time.

Fine Dog Killed.  Some one poisoned a very fine dog belonging to Ben P. Hines
Sunday.  Mr. Hines says that he would not have taken $100.00 for the dog. 
During the past month several fine dogs have been killed by unknown parties.

Making It Hard For Moonshiners.  Sheriff J.M. Weddle, U.S. Marshall J.E.
Bash, Patrolmen Robt. Warren and Silas West captured a moonshine still
Tuesday at noon in the Fishing Creek hills below the bridge.  The still was
of the tub variety being made from 3 washing tubs and was a 75 gallon
capacity.  When found the mash was boiling and from all appearance the
operators had learned of the approach of the officers and made their get
away.  The still was destroyed and the beer poured out.  The still was well
concealed.  No arrest have been made, but the officers expect to make some
arrest in the next few days.  U.S. Marshall Bash returned from Stearns
Wednesday with a man by the name of Tramble who together with his still was
captured near Stearns the first of the week.  Patrolmen Robt. Warren and
Silas West arrested Roscoe Sears in Somerset yesterday morning and took from
him two 2 gallon jars of "white mule" and landed Sears behind the bars. 
Sears claimed that he found the jars in a hollow maple tree wrapped in a
coffee sack and he was to deliver them to a party in Somerset.  Sears claims
that he understood the jars contained "maple syrup."  Officers are on the
look out and they claim to have information that numerous stills are
bootleggers are operating in the county.

He Is Not A Democrat.   In a recent issue of the Journal we stated that Mr.
John W. Sloan of Burnside, "one of the best Democrats in the county" had
visited our office.  This week we are in receipt of a very "sassy" letter
from Mr. Sloan saying that he did not visit our office and is not a Democrat.
 The Journal should have said that Mr. G.D. Sloan was in the office.  If John
W. thinks he is due an apology we are glad to apologize but we are of the
opinion he should feel complimented.  Anyway, what we intended to say was
that Rev. G.D. was in to see us and that he is a pure-dyed in the wool
Democrat of the old school.

Marriage License.  The following marriage licenses have been issued since our
last issue:  H. Roscoe Smith and Lola Jenkins; R.F. James and Abby J. Powers;
Roscoe E. Vanover and Bessie Denny; Oscar Whitaker and Zona Phelps; Herbert
Wilson and Sarah E. Alsip.

Passes With Good Average.  Miss Odessa Correll, the Journal's reporter of the
Pulaski news, who took the Civil Service examination at Pulaski February
14th, passed making a good average. Miss Correll was formerly connected with
a newspaper in Somerset I the capacity of bookkeeper and is a young lady of
excellent business qualification.

Out of the Army.  Captain J.J. Bethurum, at his own request, was given an
honorable discharge from the army last week.  Captain Bethurum has been in
the service for four years and rose from a private to a Captain.  At the time
of his discharge he was in the regular army.  He will enter the automobile
business in Louisville.  Captain Bethurum saw foreign service and was in
several big battles.

Killed At Shops.  William F. Meece, an employee at the Ferguson Shops, was
instantly killed while at work last Friday.  A large wrench flew off a car on
which he was working and hit him in the head.  Mr. Meece lived on the Mt.
Vernon road.  Funeral services were held at Piney Grove Sunday afternoon.

James - Powers.  Mr. R.F. James and Mrs. Abby Powers both of this city, were
married at the Methodist church last Sunday morning following services.  Rev.
W.L. Clark, the pastor, performed the ceremony.  Quite a number of the
congregation and other invited friends were present.  Mr. James is a
prominent farmer and coal operator.  His bride moved to Pulaski from Wayne
county and has made many friends during her residence here.

Darious Young Shot.  Dewey Gossett, son of Vince Gossett, shot and probably 
fatally wounded Darious Young, son of Brent Young, Monday about dark.  The
shooting took place at the home of young Gossett.  Young was brought to the
hospital here and is in serious condition.  His father who lives at
Cynthiana, Ky., was notified and arrived Tuesday.  Gossett is out on bond.

Mexico and Texas Trip.  Wish to tell my friends as brief as I can about my
trip to Southern Texas and Old Mexico.  Will say that it was the most
interesting trip I ever made.  I went via Louisville, Ky., Memphis, Tenn.,
and Little Rock, Ark., and by the way it is said that three-fourths of the
globe is water and after going through Arkansas I believe it.  The
Mississippi river had backed up over the entire country for miles, any amount
of houses were built upon stilts or posts from 10 to 12 feet high.  After
going through Arkansas I reached Dallas, Texas, which is one of the best and
most prosperous cities in the Southwest, in fact the northern cities have
nothing on her.  I then visited Austin, the Capital, from there to San
Antonio, the oldest city in Texas, where there are so many famous missions;
the most prominent one being Alamo where the great battle was fought between
Mexico and Texas.  I then drifted six hundred miles south to the Rio Grande
Valley of Texas, which is the richest land in the world, and no doubt the
finest climate under the sun for citrus and fruits, all kinds of vegetables. 
They seldom have frost there.  Oranges and grape fruit were still hanging on
the trees.  Strawberries, green beans, potatoes, lettuce, onions and cabbage
were in full blast, the finest cabbage country I ever saw.  They make as high
as $1,000 to the acre on cabbage one crop, besides they grow varieties of
crops in 13 months, as they have a growing season all the year.  This land
all being irrigated, the valley is being settled very fast.  Our excursion
numbered somewhere around 50 people.  There were ten other excursion trains
in the valley the same week.  I also saw some of Old Mexico on my trip which
was very interesting.  IT is a sight to see how they live in tents and shack
or mound houses covered with some brakes.  They are not civilized in the
least, I am led to believe that the sooner our government can relieve the
situation the better it will be.  From Mexico I started on my way home.  I
came via Galveston, Texas, a fine seaport town, then was routed from there
through Oklahoma, Mo., Kansas, Ill., and Indiana, besides viewing Old Mexico,
I saw eight different states and three capitals, which only cost me $75.00
including Pullman, board and sight seeing cars.  We will be running
excursions every two weeks.  Will be glad to give any information concerning
same.  Write or call on me any time.  R.L. Johnson, Somerset, Ky.

Dissolves Partnership.  The firm of Grider & Higgins, Main Street Garage, has
dissolved partnership and the Garage is now owned by Mr. Grider.  Captain
Paul Dexheimer is manager of the concern and has moved his office to the
garage.  Captain Dexheimer is a hustling young business man and we predict he
will make good in the automobile business.

Caldwell.  After a few weeks of suffering, Miss Isabella Pickering Caldwell
passed peacefully away Wednesday, April 7, 1920, at the home of her sister,
Mrs. Mary A. Richardson on Vine Street.  Miss Caldwell was one of the most
highly respected ladies of this community.  She was born in Somerset, Ky., on
the site of the present post office building, Sept. 9, 1839, and lived in
Somerset all her life, with the exception of a few years spent in Danville,
Ky.  She was the daughter of Dr. John Adair Caldwell and Mrs. June P. (Fox)
Caldwell.  She was a lady of superior intellect and refinement, and retained
a clear mind up until her last illness. She was perhaps better versed in the
early history of this city than any other person.  She was a granddaughter of
William Fox, who was the first Clerk of the Pulaski County and Circuit Court
and held those positions for 49 years.  She had in her possession many of the
old family heirlooms and relics, which she treasured and delighted in
exhibiting to younger members of the family.  She was a woman of striking
figure and appearance, and in her younger days was considered one of the most
popular young ladies of Kentucky.  She was a Presbyterian in faith, holding
her membership in the Danville Presbyterian church.  Miss Caldwell leaves one
living sister, Mrs. Mary A. Richardson, with whom she resided, the other
sister, Mrs. Sopha Parker, having died a number of years ago.  She was laid
to rest in the City Cemetery Thursday afternoon after beautiful services
conducted by Rev. C.H. Talbot at the residence.

Notice.  Notice is hereby given that on behalf of the United States, I have
confiscated one sorrel mare about sixteen hands high and eight years of age,
same taken as the property of Rosco Sears, he being charged with transporting
intoxicating liquors.  Held at the livery stable of Tarter & Ham in Somerset,
Ky.  This the 8th day of April, 1920.  C.L. Winfrey, Federal Prohibition

Waddle - Jones.  Dr. Charles Waddle and Mrs. Alice Jones, both of this city,
were married in Cincinnati last week.  The wedding came as a surprise to
their many friends.  Dr. Waddle is a prominent physician of Somerset while
his bride is well known and popular with all who know her.

For Sale.  One pony, buggy and harness good as new. Apply to John Tartar,
West Somerset.

Memorial.  "Leaves have their time to fall, And flowers to wither at the
North wind's breath, And stars to set - but all, Thou hast all seasons for
thy own, O Death!"   On March 19, 1920, Mrs. Fannie Scott, beloved wife of
Sir Knight Deleware W. Scott, entered into rest.  Somerset Commandery No. 31,
Knights Templar, extends to Sir Knight Scott, the sympathy of its membership
in this, his hour of bereavement.  In the death of Mrs. Scott there went out
from the material association of this community, a gentle, brave Christian
woman.  Her's was a heart of gold that beat time to the music of friendship
and charity; and in her life was the picture of perfect peace in the
performance of Christian duty, and a loving kindness that measured the
heights and depths as she walked in her own integrity through the great
world.  She was faithful to her trusts, untiring in her labors of love, and
at all times reflected her wonderful abilities to do god and honor God.  And
now beyond and mourning Frater - you are again directed to our Christian
faith.  Rest is there found for the weary, cheer for the heavy-hearted,
solace and comfort for the tired and bereaved soul, and above all the promise
of the unfaltering presence of Him, whose word is, "Lo, I am with you
always."  To you it is given to tarry here awhile and labor - ever remember
the glorious principles and grand characteristics of our Illustrious Order,
and know that though, some day, we sleep, the loom of life never stops, and
the pattern that was weaving when the sun went down is weaving when it comes
up tomorrow!"  "Beautiful life is that whose span Is Spent in duty to God and
man, Beautiful calm when the course is run, Beautiful twilight at set of sun;
Beautiful death with a life well done."  Geo. P. Sallee, O.W. Swaim, Thos. B.
Prather, C.L. Tartar, Committee.

Smith - Arbenz.   The Daily Scioto Gazette, published at Chillicothe, Ohio,
had the following article about the marriage of Mr. Charles Smith, of this
city, to Miss Bernice Arbenz which took place on Wednesday, the 30th of
March.  "Beautiful in its simplicity was the wedding in St. John's church at
high noon today, when Miss Bernice Arbenz, youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs.
F.C. Arbenz, of South Watts Street, was united in matrimony with Lieut. C. R.
Smith of Camp Sherman, Rev. Carl Roth, the pastor, officiating.  A color
scheme of green and effective decorations of the church edifice.  The alter
rail and windows were banked with palms and ferns, while two tall Venetian
vases filled the carnations flanked the alter before the ceremony was
performed.  Mrs. E.S. Romine of Wheeling, W.Va., a cousin of the bride and an
organist of ability rendered a short program on the organ and played the
accompaniments for Miss Bess Ringwald, whose rich, contralto voice was heard
in the familiar love songs, "At Dawning," and "Oh Promise Me," while the
company was gathering.  Mr. Nand Arbenz, brother of the bride, Mr. Ralph
Doerres, of this city and Mr. John Cocke of Wickliffe, Ky., were the ushers. 
At the appointed hour, the Lohengrin Wedding March announced the coming of
the bridal couple, who proceeded to the alter unattended.  The burnette
beauty of the bride was enhanced by her wedding dress of baronette satin,
simply and becomingly fashioned in short length, with which she wore a large
white pictured hat faced with dull orange georgette.  In her arms she bore a
shower bouquet of Ophelia roses and white and orchid sweet peas.  Her only
ornament was a pearl and diamond crescent pin, the gift of the groom.  The
groom presented a distinguished appearance in he uniform of his rank in the
U.S. Army.  He is well known here, having come to Camp Sherman with the 84th
Division, and where he has won many friends through his uniform courtesy and
geniality.  They plighted their troth with the ring ceremony, while the notes
of "I Love You Truly," came softly from the organ.  The happy couple retired
from the church to the joyous strains at the Medelssolin Wedding March, and
repaired at once to the home of the bride, where a wedding luncheon was
served to the immediate family and out of town guests, numbering 25.  The
color scheme of the luncheon was pink and white, roses and sweet peas being
used in the decorations, and dainty boxes containing wedding cake being used
as favors.  Pretty little baskets held the mints and almonds.  The luncheon
was served in four courses at the bridal table, which accommodated twelve
persons at small tables throughout the rooms for the others.  Lieut. And Mrs.
Smith left for a wedding journey of fifteen days, which will include visits
to relatives at Wheeling, W.Va., and the groom's home at Somerset, Ky., after
which they will reside at the home of the bride as long as Lieut. Smith is
located at Camp Sherman.  For going away the bride wore a coat suit of
infantry blue with hat to match in compliment to the groom's army
connections.  The bride is a very charming young woman of many
accomplishments.  She is a graduate of the Chillicothe high school and also a
student of music at the Cincinnati Conservatory, being a pianist and organist
of ability.  She has filled the position of organist and director of St.
John's choir with great efficiency.  In social circles she is a decided
favorite among the younger set.  Those who attended the wedding from a
distance were:  Mr. and Mrs. F.J. Arbenz, Mr. Nand Arbenz, Mrs. Elizabeth
Riley and Miss Florence Riley, of Cambridge, Miss., Helen May Smith, of
Somerset, Ky., Mr. John Cocke of Wickliffe, Ky., Miss Hannah Knoke, Mrs. E.S.
Romine and Miss Lillian Arbenz of Wheeling, W.Va.

Personal Mention.

The Chautauqua Club will meet Saturday afternoon at 2:30 with Mrs. George

Mr. Heber Lewis was up from Burnside Wednesday for the day.

"Uncle" Fount Boyd has been in town this week on business.

Mrs. J.M. Richardson and daughter, Mrs. Paul Dexheimer, are spending several
days in Cincinnati.

Dr. M.E. Tate is in Louisville attending the meeting of the State Dental

E.V. Lovelass of Nancy was in Somerset Tuesday on business.

Murrell Munsey has gone to Indianapolis, Ind., to reside.

J.C. Hunt of Grundy came in Saturday to renew for the Journal and says he
can't do without it.

W.F. Hansford, prosperous farmer of Mark, was in Somerset Saturday on

Born to the home of Mr. and Mrs. J.L. "Jack" Harmon, Herrin, Ill., March
11th, a son.

Mr. E.J. Sullivan, representing the Dixie Ice Cream Co., of Lexington, was in
Somerset Tuesday on business.  This company is making preparations to open
their large plant about May 1st which promises to be the largest of its kind
south of the Ohio river.

Mr. W.H. Griffin of Eubank, Ky., was in the city this week and ordered his
paper sent to Lockland, Ohio.

Rev. D.W. Scott, pastor of the First Christian Church, was in Lexington,
Tuesday, attending a State Workers Conference of the Inter-Church World
Movement.  Dr. Scott will be one of the several teams to cover the state in
the interest of the work.

Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Beatty and little Miss Vivian Cardwell left Tuesday for
Cincinnati to be the guests of Mr. and Mrs. Howard Frillman.

Dr. Ernest Parson is attending the meeting of the Kentucky Dental Association
in Louisville this week.

Mr. and Mrs. James Meade of Lexington have been the guests of friends and
relatives this week.

Mrs. Gretchen McMannus of Lexington has been the guests of relatives here
this week.

Judge Wm. Catron returned from a business trip to Louisville Wednesday.

Mrs. O. Willis, who has been spending the winter in New Orleans, La., is now
visiting her parents Judge and Mrs. Wm. Catron.  She will leave shortly for
Canada where she will be for the summer.

William Waddle has been in Covington this week attending Court.

Mrs. M.E. Burke returned this week from Louisville where she spent several
days.  Mrs. Burke is building a beautiful home in the suburbs of Louisville.

Miss Verda Hamilton has been employed as a clerk at the Fair Store.

Mr. and Mrs. Richard G. Williams spent Tuesday and Wednesday in Lexington
with friends.

The Frankfort correspondent to the Louisville Herald of Sunday said: "The
governor and Mrs. Edwin P. Morrow are again at the executive mansion after a
week's absence, part of which was spent in Louisville and the other in St.
Louis.  They have with them for the Easter vacation their daughter, Miss
Edwina Morrow, a student at the Kentucky Woman's College, and her guest, Miss
Margaret (missing text) Georgetown College.  Miss Morrow will leave next
Thursday for Huntington, Va., to visit Mrs. Robert H. Tucker.  The governor
will go East at the same time, first to Washington to attend a dinner of the
Gridiron Club, and then to New York.  He will be accompanied on the trip by
Col. A. T. Hert of Louisville."

Miss Bert Enoch arrived this week from Chicago, Ill., to be with her mother
who has been quite ill.

Misses McGahan and Prichard of Danville, Ky., have been the guests of Mr. and
Mrs. Tom Farmer.

Miss Gertrude O'Brion of Ludlow spent Easter with friends in Somerset.

Misses Johanna and Lucille Link, of Lexington, spent several days with Mr.
and Mrs. William Link.

Miss Katherine Slack of Lebanon, Ky., is visiting Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Hughes.

Mrs. Thos. Driscoll has returned to her home in Louisville after attending
the funeral of Mrs. H.J. Murphy.

Mr. Brent Young of Cynthiana, Ky., arrived Tuesday to be with his son, who
was shot last Tuesday by Dewey Gossett.

Mr. T.J. Marcum of Eubank, Ky., was in the city this week on business.

P.R. Burton and son, John A. Burton, of Delmer were in town yesterday.

Mr. J.N. Cox, General Manager of the Gainesboro Telephone Co., was in the
city Wednesday with Manager Moore.

Mr. and Mrs. John M.P. Thatcher of New York City, will arrive next Tuesday
for a visit with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Thos. M. Thatcher.

Sylvester Newton left this week for a visit to his daughter, Mrs. William
Leonard at Belfountain, Ohio.

Hollis Minton, son of J.C. Minton, left this week for Detroit, Michigan,
where he will work during the summer.

Mr. Clay Miller, printing instructor at the High School, was called to Mt.
Sterling, Ky., on account of the illness of his mother-in-law.

Mrs. Dewight Schroles and daughter of Omes, Iowa, are visiting her aunt, Miss
Martha Campbell.

Philip Miller, formerly of this city, now located in the East is visiting Tom

Otto Watson was up from Burnside Sunday.

Roby L. Johnson has returned from a trip to Texas.

Elrod Hines was down from the University of Cincinnati for Easter.

Mr. and Mrs. B.L. Waddle spent several days in Cincinnati this week.

Mr. I.N. Blevins of the I.N. Blevins Lumber Co., of Stearns, was in the city
this week with his partner L.B. Lowenthal.  This is a good team and we
predict they will make a big success.

Mrs. Wallace Muir, of Lexington, arrived Monday for a short visit with her
uncle, J.M. Roberts.

The following announcements have been received here:  Mr. and Mrs. Frederick
C. Arbenz announce the marriage of their daughter Bernice to Mr. Charles
Richardson Smith on Wednesday the thirty first of March one thousand nine
hundred and twenty, Chillicothe, Ohio.  Mr. and Mrs. Smith arrived yesterday
to spend a few days with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. George Smith.  Mr. Smith
is till in the army but hopes to be released soon and will located at
Springfield, Ky., where he will take up agricultural work.  Mr. Smith is one
of the most popular young men of the city, and he has the best wishes of a
host of friends for a most happy married life.

Mrs. Charles Higdeon and Mr. Lusk left Monday for their home at Ettawa,
Tenn., after a visit with the family of Mr. and Mrs. J.M. Roberts.

Mrs. John Hammock of Rubbard, Idaho, is visiting her sister, Mrs. Marcus
Clark on West Columbia Street.

Mrs. J.S. Mavity and sons Edward and Walter are visiting relatives in
Tennessee and Georgia.

Oak Hill.

Sam Lester and wife of Pulaski spent Thursday night at Lee Chestnut's.

Mrs. Lula Frisbie spent Wednesday with Mrs. Bryant Gholson.

Earl Curtis and family visited O.B. Vaughn Tuesday.

Thelma Claunch visited the Frisbie girls Wednesday.

Jack Cundiff continues very ill.

Mattie Neeley spent Monday at John Neeley's.

O.L. Wilson has opened his new store here.

Saufley Hammond and wife visited Mrs. Keith Friday.

Grace and Mae Frisbie visited at Willie Keith's Friday.

Mrs. Jim Bryant visited Mrs. Bryant Gholson Saturday.

Lawrence Neeley and family visited Walter Neeley Wednesday.

Rendye Nicholas spent Friday with Angie Neeley.

Nellie Burton and children were the guests of her mother Saturday.

Mrs. James Cassada and daughter visited Terrell Neeley Sunday.

Mesdames Gholson and Lorton visited Lula Frisbie Sunday.

The infant son of Terrell Neeley is very sick.

Angie Neeley spent Saturday night with her grandparents.

Walter Neeley and wife have gone to Oklahoma.

Grace Frisbie is visiting her sister at Span, Ky.

Mrs. Chas. Baker visited her mother Saturday and Sunday.

Willie Bogle spent the weekend with her grandparents.

Everett Gholson and wife took dinner with her mother Sunday.

Mr. Massey entertained several at dinner Sunday.

Pleasant Hill.

Zula Turpen has returned home from Ohio.

"Uncle" Jesse Girdler and daughter visited Jesse Neikirk Monday.

W.J. Barnes has returned to his home in Louisville.

Pearl Doss spent Saturday night with Colutha Burton.

Mrs. Ida Hines and children spent Saturday and Sunday with her mother Mrs.
Anna B. Shadoan at Somerset.

Mrs. J.T. Scales will leave soon to join her husband at Cincinnati.

Miss Lucy Girdler was a hustling young lady last week being very busy taking
the school census.

Ike Shepherd and wife have gone to Indiana.

Mable Hopper spent last week in Somerset.

James Vaught and family have gone to Cincinnati.

Noble Lay and wife were called here on account of the illness of her sister,
Miss Hester Robinson.

Mitt Girdler left Sunday for a visit to relatives in Ludlow.

Misses Clara and Lucy Girdler entertained a number of their friends Sunday.


W.H. Griffin and wife were in Somerset Saturday.

Mrs. Ellard Trivett and children are visiting relatives here.

Chas. Nelson has returned from Akron, Ohio.

Ira Trivett has returned to Richmond, Indiana.

Rev. Gooch and wife visited Rev. Todd Sunday.

John Todd and family visited his father Saturday.

M.N. Griffin and family visited Jim Todd Sunday.

Mrs. Altha Singleton is very ill.

Mrs. Anderson Nelson visited at J.E. Todd's Saturday.

W.R. Estes and family spent Sunday with his father.

Mr. and Mrs. Victor Todd were the guests of Rev. Todd Sunday.


Arling Jasper and wife visited her parents Saturday night.

Audrey Rainwater has been the guest of Loretta Doss.

Noah Griffin and son visited his parents Saturday night.

The home of L.D. Dick was destroyed by fire last week.


Mrs. J.W. Cottongin and children were Sunday guests of Mrs. J.J McDonald.

Lillie Carlton visited Eva Mayfield last Saturday night and Sunday.

Miss Floe Cottingin visited her sister, Mrs. Dewey Farmer, Saturday night.

Vanlo McDonald has moved to the farm he rented from John B. Barnes.

Emett McDonald and sister, Myrtle, visited their sister, Mrs. Pearlie Carlton
last week.

Miss Nannie Lawson is some better at this writing.

"Uncle" Jim Woodall has been quite ill for some time but is some better now.

John Bullock has returned from Cincinnati where he has been working.

Elijah Woodall has returned from Indiana with his wife who is quite ill.

Whet Stone church has organized a Sunday school.

Sam Mayfield of Somerset was visiting home folks here Saturday and Sunday.

Miss Mary Langford entertained quite a number of her friends at her home last
Sunday evening.


James C. Hudson accidentally shot himself a few days ago.  He is reported to
be recovering nicely.

J.F. Floyd is very ill.

Pearl Gossett of Shafter visited friends here Friday.

Hazel Muse visited Beatrice Fitzgerald Wednesday.

Edna Floyd is very ill at this writing.

Mesdames Lou Weaver and Lois Brock were visitors at C.M. Brown's last week.

Gertrude Floyd visited her father Friday.

Mrs. C.M. Brown has in a full line of Spring hats.

Lora and Flora Barker visited Della Brown last week.


E.B. Herrin and wife visited at John Stringer's Sunday.

G.H. Osborne and wife spent Saturday night with Hiram Abbott.

Mrs. Eva Acton and son were in Somerset Saturday.

Kate Stringer has been the guest of relatives here.

Rebecca Sandidge and daughter visited John Roy Friday night.

Mrs. Mary Hamm and little daughter have gone to Cincinnati to make their

Jep Shepherd visited John Roy last week.

A.J. Hamm and wife visited J.R. Hamm Sunday.

Dr. Acton of Indiana is visiting homefolks.

Mrs. Bertha Osborne is very ill.


Mrs. James Moore is recovering nicely from a recent illness.

R.N. Early is able to be out.

The young folks enjoyed an egg hunt at Noah Bullock's Sunday.

Jeff Smith and wife visited their daughter Sunday.

Mrs. Virgil Rainey visited Mrs. Milliard Vicars last week.

Mrs. Arnold Hansford spent Saturday at James Whitson's.

Wm. Price and wife visited John Stewart Sunday.

Dault Turner of Ansonia, Ohio, visited Mrs. Ellen Whitson Friday night.

Theodore Stewart was in Somerset Saturday and Sunday.

R. Bates of Iowa has been the guest of his parents.

Mart Lovins and family visited at Conard last weekend.

Mrs. Polly Barclay visited Mrs. Edd Buchanan at Burnside last week.

Uncle Steve Wright has returned from the Somerset hospital.

Mrs. June Hansford of Somerset visited relatives here last week.

Everett Murphy and wife visited at Howard Bodkin's Saturday and Sunday.


Tom Smith had a sale April 3.  he and family will leave soon for Denver,

Mr. Joe Davidson visited at George Bumgardner's Sunday.

James Price and wife of Lincoln county are visiting relatives at this place.

W.H. Bumgardner and family are recovering from the flu.

The young folks all enjoyed a nice time at an Easter hunt given at the home
of W.H. Poynter Sunday afternoon.

Mrs. Ella Stevens visited Mrs. Archie Poynter Friday.

Mrs. A.C. Eads will have a sale of he personal property Saturday, April 10.

J.M. Carter visited his father, Rush Carter, Sunday.

Bill Randolph has moved to the Tom Smith place near Plato.

Leslie Randolph visited at J.L. Bumgardner's Saturday night.

Lonzo Randolph and Miss Grace Randolph visited at J.E. Anderson's Sunday.

James O'Neal and family are recovering from a severe attack of flu.


Stella Colyer got her hand badly mashed a few days ago.

About 50 people attended the egg hunt at Lee Kenney's Sunday.

The Literary Society will give a programme Saturday night at the school

Tony Massey entertained with an egg supper Saturday night.

Anna Meece is in Somerset this week.

Edith Hargis and Boone Barnes will leave for Bowling Green this week.


Mrs. Wm. Phelps is very ill.

Hattie Parkey visited G.R. Phelps Saturday and Sunday.

Lizzie Phelps and children visited Sabie Phelps Tuesday.

Mrs. Mary Parkey visited her daughter Thursday.

Mrs. W. Bray spent Saturday night at J.A. Phelps.


Mesdames Ida Vanhoosier and Manda Stevenson visited Martha Epperson Monday.

China Epperson spent Tuesday with her parents.

Born to Mrs. Earl Kenney a fine girl.

F.I. Hart has moved to his new home.

Grace Epperson is visiting her sister, Eva Kenney.

Coda Floyd was called home on account of the illness of his father.

Mt. Zion.

Delmer Baugh spent Monday night with his uncle G.W. Adams of Hogue.

Mrs. Sherman Godby is visiting her niece Mrs. Charles Baugh of Burnside.

Mr. and Mrs. Bill Baugh spent Monday with his aunt, Mrs. Warren Baugh.

Mr. and Mrs. John Adams and baby left for Indiana last week to make their
future home.

Mr. and Mrs. Guster Hollars baby and niece spent Easter with her parents at
Science Hill.

The many friends of James Morris of Norwood will be sorry to learn of his
serious illness.

Ed Baugh who has just returned from Toledo, Ohio, spent Easter with his
grandmother "Aunt" Sarah Baugh.

"Aunt" Ellen Vaught can walk a little now, but is still in a serious

Little Hughlan Correll spent Saturday night and Sunday with his uncle Jas.

Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Correll and children visited her father, Mr. Vanhoosier
of Beech Grove, Saturday and Sunday.

Several of the young folks enjoyed an Easter hunt with Miss Nannie Vaughn


Jim Keith and wife visited Will Hardgrove and wife Sunday.

Misses Nina and Beulah Tucker visited Miss Thelma Claunch Sunday.

Mr. and Mrs. Harry Stigall visited Mr. and Mrs. C.D. Stigall Sunday.

Mr. and Mrs. Harry Stigall visited Mr. and Mrs. C.D. Stigall Sunday.

Mrs. D.S. Claunch and daughter Thelma visited Mrs. H.S. Hail Monday.

Earl Curtis has moved to the Ward Tate Farm.

Bill White and wife were Sunday guests of D.S. Claunch and wife.

Mrs. John Hall and Thelma Claunch were guests of Mrs. Sam Cowan Sunday.

Mrs. Mary Eliza Wait is visiting her daughter Mrs. Tuttle of Burnside.

Herman and Ira Cowan visited relatives at Waitsboro Saturday night and

Mrs. Charles Oats and children of Danville, Mr. and Mrs. Arnold Curtis of
Stearns, Mr. and Mrs. Earl Curtis and Bill Humble of Somerset, visited Mr.
and Mrs. Otho B. Vaughn Sunday.

Harry Stigall and wife entertained her uncle of Somerset last week.

Mrs. Sallie Bryant visited her sister Mrs. Everett Gholson one day last week.

Mrs. Wm. Delabar of Cincinnati, Ohio, is visiting her parents Mr. and Mrs.
D.S. Claunch.

Miss Thelma Claunch is teaching a spring term of school at Pisgah.

Science Hill.

Messrs Earl Phelps and Geo. Webb have returned to Toledo, Ohio, to resume
their work after a visit with home folks. James Webb accompanied them.

H.V. Ashley and family have gone to Elgin, Ill., to make their future home. 
Mr. Ashley will go into the dairy business.

C.C. Cain has purchased an Oldsmobile.

S.O. Newell is at home for a short visit.

Wm. Dobbs and family spent Sunday at Eli Ward's.

Mrs. A.H. Beatty had the misfortune of loosing a fine Jersey milch cow last

Prof. Dabney spent Saturday and Sunday with his parents at Monticello.

Mr. and Mrs. Chester Haggard and little daughter, Margaret, leave the latter
part of the week for Ashland, Ky., to make their future home.

Miss Florence Cash is improving.

Mrs. Virgil Reid and little son, of Danville, spent Easter with her parents,
Mr. and Mrs. J.P. Vaught.

Rehearsals are now in progress for the Commencement exercises, and we are
expecting some fine plays at the close of the school year.

Mrs. Godby entertained her Sunday school class with an Easter egg hunt Sunday


Shelby Griffin had a sale March 29th and has gone to Wayne county.

Jack Smith has moved to Woodstock.

Tom Claunch has sold his farm to a North Carolina man.

Charles Burnett has erected a broom factory.

John Price and family have gone to Indiana to locate.

The remains of Clayton Thompson were brought here for burial March 28.

Wilas Lovins and family were visiting at Acorn Saturday and Sunday.

Mrs. Lola Smith and children are visiting here.


Miss Leona Harn and her friend, Miss Elsie Barker, came home to spend Easter.

W.F. Beaty was called to Dayton, Ky., on account of the death of his

John Morrow of New Castle, Ind., was in town this week.

Prof. and Mrs. Greer's little girl has been very ill with pneumonia.

Messrs Wm. Moore and Dick Short of Oakdale, visited Mr. and Mrs. Rew

Rev. Leslie J.B.  Smith of Columbia gave a very interesting lecture at the
Baptist church Wednesday night.

J.P. Cunningham of Monticello was in town Saturday.

W.F. DeLaney, President of Kentucky Lumber Co., of Lexington, was here last
week on business.

David Ewing of Bonham, Tex., visited at the home of G.W. Nunn last week.

Mrs. T.B. Grissom has returned to her home at Erlanger after a visit with her
mother Mrs. R.O. Lewis.

Heber Lewis has returned home.

Miss Amelia Saunders is absent from her school this week with the mumps.

Mr. and Mrs. John Dobbs of Knoxville were in town Monday en route to

Miss Whitson, nurse of Somerset, was called Sunday to nurse little John
Dudley Sloan who has been very ill.

Frank D. Orwin and Harold Glispie of Somerset were in town Monday.

W.L. McDonald was in Cincinnati Tuesday.

Earl B. Rinearson of Danville was the guest of Miss Ruth Harvey Sunday.

Little John William arrived at the home of Mr. and Mrs. P.W. Tuttle Monday

R.W. Phillippi has been very ill.

Mrs. Howard Selvidge was confined to her room last week with tonsillitis.

The Reading Club entertained with a delightful April Fool party Friday
evening at the Masonic Hall.

The V.P.M. Society held their monthly meeting at the home of Misses Edna
Young and Anna Denton Tuesday evening.

A.B. Parrigin and wife have moved to Mill Springs.

Dr. Perry Parrigin of Monticello passed through town Sunday en route to
Louisville to meet his "chosen girl."  They were married Wednesday.

Announcements have been received here of the marriage of Fred Duling,
formerly of this city, and Miss Johnson of Cincinnati.


Geo. Steele was in Somerset Saturday.

Minnie Bray was visiting homefolks Saturday.

Mary Farmer had several visitors Saturday night.

Nova Childers visited the Bray girls Sunday.

Wm. Childers has gone to Illinois.

The Snell and Stogsdill families were entertained at the home of Other
Randall Saturday night.

Mrs. H.J. Ridner visited H.M. Stogsdill Sunday.

Kisarah Phelps visited her sister Saturday night.

Alvin Phelps visited G.C. Phelps Saturday.

Lela Hargis visited L.A. Bray last week.

Born to Mrs. R.L. Mize, a boy.

J.W. Steele was in Louisville last week.


Chester Blankenship entertained several friends Sunday.

T. Anderson is very ill.

Opha Adams, Delta York and Ruby Mercer visited Dana Suttle Friday.

Ruby Mercer is the guest of relatives here.

Opha Adams and Danna Suttle visited at James Vaught's last week.

Nannie Osborne is on the sick list.

Rhillip Reece and wife visited at Newton Tackitt's Saturday night.

D. Gilliland and family visited Nannie Osborne Sunday.


Born to Mrs. B.C. Dause March 28th - a boy - Woodrow.

Misses Lula and Rhetta Adams spent Monday with Roxie and Laura Dick at

Mrs. Mary J. Dick visited her daughter Mrs. A.J. Blevins last Tuesday.

Rev. J.E. Hudson of Somerset was here Wednesday on business.

Mr. and Mrs. Harry Abbott and baby and Miss Minnie King of Tennessee are
visiting their parents Mr. and Mrs. Newton King.

L. Jasper and family of Mt. Hope and Rutherford Adams and family spent Sunday
with their father A.J. Adams.

W.J. Vaught and son, Luther, were in Somerset on business last Tuesday.

Miss Luena Dick of Mangum spent Tuesday with her sister Mrs. Effie Adams.

Mr. and Mrs. James cline have retuned to their home in Indiana after a few
weeks stay here.

John J. Dick and family of Mt. Hope spent Sunday at James Randolph's.

Misses Elizabeth and Dorothy Jasper spent Sunday afternoon with Lula Pitman.

Misses Lula and Rhetta Adams were Sunday guests at Dock Dick's and were
accompanied home by Lou and Lola Dick.

Miss Martha Hodge  visited her sister, Mrs. Rosa Sweet at Buncombe, Sunday.


Quite a crowd attended church last Sunday.  Services held by Rev. Andrews.

Miss Doretta Mills is improving nicely.

Hubert Dunagan and wife and Mrs. Eulon Dungan visited Mr. and Mrs. Robert
Mills Sunday.

Miss Millie Humble of Pleasant Hill is visiting her sister Mrs. Fred Prather.

Mr. and Mrs. T.H. Dunagan have moved to their home purchased from J.A.

Robert, the little son of Mr. and Mrs. Eulon Dunagan, is visited his
grandmother Mrs. R.L. Kelley, this week.

The Methodist Sunday school was reorganized last Sunday at New Bethel.  Every
one is invited to attend every Sunday morning at 9:30 o'clock.

Misses Arlie Tartar and Sallie Mills visited Miss Ida Vaughn Sunday

Last Update Saturday, 29-Dec-2012 18:57:54 EST

County Coordinator

County Coordinator:  Gayle Triller
Copyright © 2015 by the KYGenWeb Team. All
rights reserved. Copyright of submitted items
 belongs to those responsible for their authorship or
creation unless otherwise assigned.