Submitted by to mail list and used here with permission.


The Somerset Journal
The Oldest Democratic Newspaper in the Mountains of Kentucky
Feese & Williams
Somerset, Ky., Friday, March 19, 1920.


Circuit Court.  This is the last week of the present term of Circuit Court. 
All the week has been taken up with the trial of civil cases and quite a
number have been disposed of.  The grand jury adjourned last week returning
about thirty-five indictments.  Only one indictment was returned for the
illegal sale of liquor. 

Offered Post in England.  Mr. John H. Williams, son of Mr. and Mrs. M.C.
Williams, who is doing some work in the State Department at Washington, has
been offered a place as Visa Officer in England, but he declined it, desiring
to finish his school work at George Washington University.

Miss Wilson's Fine Record.  Lexington, Ky., special, March ?, 1920. - Miss
Alberta Wilson, of Somerset, a senior in the Arts and Science College of the
University of Kentucky, has made herself prominent in the school life by her
exceptionally good work.  She is completing the regular four year course in
the University in three years without having to attend summer school.  For
the last two semesters she has had twenty-three hours work each semester and
has made "A" in every subject.  During her entire tutelage in the University
she has made as grades only A's and B's, the two highest marks given in the
University.  Besides the unusually hard work which she is taking, she is
teaching a class in elementary Spanish, and is assisting Dr. Funkhouser, head
of the department of Zoology, in his laboratory.  She is a member of the
Rafinsque Botany Club, the Horace Mann Literary Society and is president of
the Romance Languages Club.  The University comrades of Miss Wilson are proud
to have as a fellow student one who shows so unusual talent and ability.

Negro Electrocuted.  Petrie Kimbrough, alias William Locket, murderer of
little Geneva Hardman in the Elkhorn district of Fayette county, and
confessed murder of four women, died at 4 o'clock Thursday, March 11, in the
prison electric chair at Eddyville, Ky.  He was the thirty-second man to die
in the electric chair at Eddyville.

Big Deal On In The East That Will Mean Much to Pulaski County, It Is Said.  
Milo Shanks, editor and manager of the Elmira, N.Y., Advertiser, has
associated himself with Frank T. Ketter, a well known and wealthy business
man of Elmira in the incorporation and establishment of the East Pulaski Coal
Company for the development of coal lands owned by Milo Shanks in this
section.  Mr. Shanks, who was formerly a citizen of Pulaski county and was in
the newspaper business at Richmond, Ky., has been in Elmira for several years
as the editor and manager of Elmira Advertiser, which is owned by former
Congressman Sloat Fasset, and which is an influential publication in that
section of the State.  It is stated that the land which is to be developed
already has been tested and that the coal has been found to be of good
quality.  Mr. Ketter is now in the Pulaski field looking over the situation. 
He made a talk before the business men of Somerset last Friday night.  It is
said that development on a large figure is expected to be started at an early
date.  A large plant, it is said, will be erected here to manufacture the
by-products of coal.  It is a big proposition on foot and if it goes thru
would mean much to this section.

Grand Juror A "Bootlegger."   George Shiplett, one of the grand jurors of the
last session of this august body, was arrested by Patrolman Robt. Warren and
Silas West Tuesday who register against him a charge in Police Court of
"bootlegging" whiskey in Somerset.  It is reported that Shiplett was caught
in the act by "Moster" Warren who summoned the aid of Patrolman West and when
they made the arrest Shiplett was relieved of a keg of what is said to be a
very high grade of "Mountain Moonshine."  Shiplett was given a fine and jail
sentence and the "keg" is under seal in the vault of the First National Bank.
 The offender will be turned over to the United States government
authorities.  Somerset police say that there is considerable "moonshining"
going on in the county and if they were given sufficient aid the business
could be stopped.  "Moster" Warren says if "moonshiners" want to sell their
product they had better sell it outside the city limits.  It is a shame and a
disgrace that a man who is intrusted with the enforcement of the laws, and
who takes upon himself an obligation to do this duty as a grand juror, should
be found guilty of such an offense.  It is bad, indeed, for anyone to be
guilty of crime or to be a confessed violator of the law, but when a grand
juror is arrested and confesses to selling liquor, we are reminded that "all
men are sinners" and "there is none good, no not one."  Who can be trusted
with the destiny of good government and who is worthy of the trust he holds?

Bethurum Not To Run (photo available).  Judge B.J. Bethurum who has been
considering making the race for the Republican nomination for United States
Senator, in an interview with a Journal reporter this week, stated that he
had made up his mind not to enter the race but will support R.P. Ernst of
Covington.  It seems if the Republican bosses have had their way and will
give Mr. Ernst the nomination without opposition.  The Democrats had rather
see Mr. Ernst nominated than Judge Bethurum for they feel Judge Bethurum
would be a harder man to defeat.

Gets Agency.  Mr. T.E. Jasper, the hardware man, has taken agency for the
Studebaker automobile of Pulaski, Wayne and McCreary.  He hopes to have one
of the late models here in a short time.  Mr. Jasper also has the agency for
the Liberty Six and will have one of these cars here for exhibition soon.

"Tead" is Doing Fine.  Mr. A. Goldenberg received a letter from "Tead" Hines
this week in which he said: "I am still with the California Raisin Company
and getting along fine.  I like California.  Will be back in Somerset in
1924.  I would come sooner, but know the citizens could not, without a lot of
inconvenience, prepare for my welcome any sooner than that time.  I want the
band out and the flags flying."  "Tead's" many friends will be glad to know
he is doing so nicely.  No boy ever left Somerset with more friends and every
one wishes him success.

Danville High Defeats Somerset in a Hand Fight Rather Than a Basketball Game.
  What was supposed to be a basketball game and was played at Danville last
Friday night between Somerset High and Danville High.  The result was in
favor of Danville by a score of 15 to 10.  The game during the last half
after Somerset was ahead resolved itself into a free for all fight in which
players and spectators took part.  Those who saw the game said it was a
regular "knock down and drag out" affair.  The art of goal shooting and
basketball playing was forgotten and both teams went after each other with a
vengeance.  Upon the outcome of this game, Danville claims the championship
of the state but has no more right to it than Somerset has for claiming the
championship of the world.  Danville has played small teams all season with
the exception of Louisville, Somerset and Paris.  It seems to us the
championship is in a muddle.  Louisville probably has a better claim than any
other team for championship honors.  Certainly Somerset has as much right to
claim it as Danville.

Shortage of Teachers.  Washington, March 13. - The largest shortage of
teachers of any State in the country is in Kentucky, where it would be
necessary to add 2,250 experienced schoolma'ams to the payroll to bring the
number up to standard, according to information obtained today at the Bureau
of Education, Department of the Interior.  Texas has the next largest
shortage of 2,055; Virginia has a shortage of 2,000; Georgia 1,500; North
Carolina 700 and Iowa 600.

Griffith-Daniels.  On Friday evening, at the parsonage of the
Congregationalist church, Ida Marie Griffith and James Morgan Daniels were
married by Rev. Evans in the presence of a few friends.  Miss Ida is the
eldest daughter of Mrs. India Griffith and the young couple will make their
home at the Griffith Hotel.  Mr. Daniels is secretary to General Manager
Butler and prior to affiliating with this company held an important post with
the Southern Railway.  The bride, an attractive blonde, wore a dark serge
traveling suit, with hat and blouse to correspond.  Mr. and Mrs. Daniels left
on the midnight train for a short southern trip.  Needless to remark that the
"newly-weds" have the best wishes of a host of friends for their future
happiness. - McCreary County Record.

Montague-Chase.   The Lexington papers carried the following Sunday that will
be of interest to Somerset people.  Sterling Chase lived in Somerset with his
parents, Dr. and Mrs. H.S. Chase, for some time:  "The marriage of Miss
Josephine Montague to Mr. Sterling T. Chase was solemnized Tuesday afternoon
at the home of the officiating minister, the Rev. J.W. Porter.  The
attendants were Miss Mary Smith, maid of honor, and John Thomas Perry, best
man.  The wedding was a very quite affair, only members of the immediate
families being present.  After the marriage service, the bridal party was
entertained at dinner at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs.
William R. Montague, the bride and groom leaving later on a trip.   They will
make their home at Lexington on their return.  The bride is the only daughter
of the household.  She studied at Hamilton College and the University of
Kentucky. Mr. Chase is connected with a lumber company, and is the son of Dr.
H.S. Chase and Mrs. Chase, formerly of Lexington, now of Denver."

We are prepared to do garden breaking, harrowing and also light hauling. 
Give us your order and we will do same when weather permits.  H.C. Barnes and
C. Jasper.  Main and Monticello Street.  Phone 396.

A Good Democrat.  Mr. John W. Sloan, of Burnside, one of the best Democrats
in the county was a caller at the Journal office Monday.  Mr. Sloan has been
a subscriber to the Journal for 50 years.  He said he started taking it in
1870 while he was teaching school.  We are always glad to see him and wish he
would come oftner.

Moving to Lincoln.  Bee Whitis, manager for The Callahan Oil Co., is moving a
rig into Lincoln county this week.  Mr. Whitis has been doing some work in
Allen and Monroe.

Car of Cattle.  Mr. H.S. Hail, who owns the Squire Jones farm in the Pisgah
neighborhood, received a car load of fine dairy cows this week which he just
recently purchased at Burlington, Iowa.  They are the very finest stock and
Mr. Hale will go extensively into the dairy business.

Big Recruiting Drive.   Corpl. Theo. Bayless, in charge of the local
recruiting office here, received a telegram from Colonel Pfiel, at
Louisville, Kentucky, stating that the Kentucky recruiting district stood
second on March 5th in 56 districts throughout the United States in getting
recruits for the army.  This big drive will end March 31.  And Corpl. Bayless
says he knows several young men who has told him they were going to enlist
soon.  So boys, get together and come on before this big drive is over as
Kentucky district and the First Division is anxious to be in first place when
the drive is finished.  The United States Government has spent two million
dollars in this big drive trying to show the young men of the country the
benefits to be derived by putting an enlistment in the U.S. Army.  If you
have never had a chance to get an education here is the place to get it. 
Earn while you learn.  The army recruiting office is in the Citizens National
Bank building, Somerset.

Red Cross Service Medals.  All persons having done Red Cross work during the
war are entitled to service medals.  Send name and address and approximate
number of hours given to this work to Mr. Geo. P. Sallee.  Applications
should be in by March 25th.  The following is a table of the number of hours
required and the length of time to entitle applicants to the various
insignia: 400 hours - 6 months - badge with fawn ribbon; 800 hours - 6 months
- badge with blue fawn ribbon; 1600 hours - 1 year - one stripe; 2400 hours -
1 year 2 (18 mos.), two stripes; 3200 hours - 2 years - three stripes; 4000
hours - 2 years 2 (30 mos.), four stripes.

Abbott - Glass.  Miss Dorothy Margaret Abbott, of this city, formerly of
Somerset, and Mr. Eastland T. Glass, of Georgetown, were married March 1,
according to messages received by friends here.  They left immediately after
the ceremony for the country home of the bridegroom, where they will remain
through the summer. - Lexington Leader.

Marriage Licenses.

The following marriage licenses have been issued since our last issue:  Wm.
Talmadge Wilson and Lucy Hester Johnson, Wm. Harden Adams and Ada Leigh,
Henry. M. Hubbard and Dolly May Hicks, Eli Farmer and Della Wright, Tom Lee
Rawland and Ina Coomer, Sam Lee and Maude Wilhite.


SIMPSON:  Mr. Harden Simpson, civil war veteran and prominent citizen, died
at the age of 83 on last Monday, the 15th, at his home just east of town.  He
was buried at Bradley Chapel Wednesday afternoon.  Funeral services were held
at the home.  Mr. Simpson was born and raised in Pulaski county and was one
of the very best citizens of the county.  He was a progressive farmer.  He
leaves a wife and several children.

CAMPBELL:  Mary L. Campbell, wife of M.B. Campbell, a prominent business man
of Pine Knot, Ky., died at her home on the 15th and was buried on Wednesday.

WILLIAMS:  Morris Williams, son of Humphrey Williams, of the Strawberry
neighborhood, died with pneumonia last Friday and was buried Saturday.  He
was eight years of age.

COWAN: Bill Cowan, son of Mrs. Jane Cowan, died very suddenly last Sunday at
his home just south of Somerset.  He was only sick a few days.  Funeral
services were held at the home by Rev. W.L. Clark and burial took place in
the City Cemetery Tuesday afternoon.  Mr. Cowan was 35 years of age and was a
splendid young man.  He was an up to date farmer and delighted in his work.

BAUGH:  Mrs. Frank Baugh, of Burnside, died last Saturday and was buried
Sunday afternoon.

STEWART:  J.M. Stewart, one of the oldest citizens of the county, died last
Saturday morning at his home on Mt. Vernon Street.  He was buried Sunday in
Rock Lick Church burying ground.  Funeral services were conducted by Rev.
Smith.  He leaves a wife and several children.

An Old Time Sing.  About forty people gathered at the home of Mr. and Mrs.
Tom Silvers last Saturday evening for a real sing.  Mr. J.P. Sears was on
hand to keep the music going at the proper time and pitch.  Young and old
entered into the spirit of this occasion and everyone present had a good
time.  It was the feeling of many present that an old fashioned singing
school would not be a bad idea.  Announcement has already gone out to the
people of the Mission neighborhood that a class of this kind will be
considered.  All who are interested are asked to come to the Mission Saturday
evening 7 p.m.

For Sale.  Modern eight room house on Griffin Ave., toilet and bath, hot and
cold water, electric lights, large lattice porch, nice shade trees, garden a
nd out buildings.  Lot 60 by 150 feet.  Good driveway to garage building.  A
bargain if sold within the next few days.  Possession on day of sale.  S.H.
Gooch, Phone 237.  Somerset, Ky.

After Bootleggers.   "Moster" Warren and Silas West are hot on the trail of
the boot leggers and they had better watch out.  Several have been taken into
custody this week and other arrests will likely follow.  There is no doubt
but what considerable whiskey is being sold in Somerset and it is time it was
being stopped.

For Sale.  One Monroe car in first class condition, two passenger.  Apply to
W.A. Wells, 203 East Mt. Vernon Street, Somerset, Ky. 

Personal Mention.

Miss Bettie Keen has been quite ill for the past week.

Fred Catron was down from Louisville last Saturday.

Abner Jones was up from Burnside Tuesday on business.

Dr. A.M. Parsons is able to be out after an illness of several days.

R.B. Waddle is spending several days in Louisville and Frankfort.

Richard West of Philadelphia, Pa., is visiting his parents this week.

James Williams was down from State College, Lexington, Saturday and Sunday.

Tom Norris has accepted a position at Corbin with the Keon Insurance Agency.

Robert Caskey of Campbellsville, Ky., was in the city this week on business.

Captain Crozier is at the Somerset Sanitarium.  He is in quite a serious

Thos. McElroy attended the funeral of his cousin, Thos. Clark, at Danville
this week.

Dr. J.P. White, pastor of the M.E. church, left yesterday for Louisville to
attend the Inter Church conference now in session in that city.

Mr. and Mrs. Elvert Humble have moved into their pretty new home on Harvey

Rev. C.M. Smith of Columbia, Ky., is attending the Baptist Institute here
this week.

Imel Parrigan of Burnside was in the city Wednesday and paid the Journal
office a call.

Mr. Claude Pennybaker, now located in Atlanta, Ga., spent several days with
his family here.

Mrs. O.L. Cribben of Cincinnati, Ohio, is visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs.
W.H. Tibbals.

Dr. H.K. Fulkerson will go to Louisville next Monday to attend a meeting of
the state opticians.

Mrs. B.J. Bethurum is in Louisville attending a meeting of the Inter-Church
World Movement.

Mrs. Stephen Jones has been quite ill at her apartments at the Colyer House. 
She is some better at this time.

Governor and Mrs. Edwin P. Morrow are expected in Somerset to spend the
weekend with relatives.

Mrs. Howard King has returned from Lexington where she was called on account
of the death of her sister.

Mr. and Mrs. G.T. Shadoan and son, Harvey, of Covington, Ky., are visiting
relatives in the city this week.

Miss Kisarah Phelps, the Bent correspondent to the Journal, was in Somerset
Monday and called at the Journal office.

Judge and Mrs. V.P. Smith have returned from a delightful stay at Palm Beach
and other Florida resorts.

Messrs George Elliot and A.A. Basham were in Cincinnati last Saturday on
business for the Citizens National Bank.

Mr. and Mrs. W.C. Elliston passed through Somerset last Sunday en route to
Tucson, Arizona, for Mrs. Elliston's health.

Governor and Mrs. Edwin P. Morrow entertained for Mr. and Mrs. Gladstone
Wesley with a dinner at the Mansion.

O.L. Conyers is spending several days in Louisville on business and attending
the Inter-Church World Movement Convention.

James Adams, one of the Journal's faithful employees, is down with the flu. 
His wife has also been ill with the same disease.

Mr. and Mrs. R.C. Williams, Jr., and Mr. and Mrs. Ben L. Waddle, spent
several days in Danville the guest of Mr. and Mrs. Logan Wood.

Mrs. Blanch Hoskins, who was operated on in Louisville last week, is getting
along nicely.  She was accompanied to Louisville by her father, Mr. John

Mr. Ed Murphy arrived Wednesday for a visit with his family.  This is Ed's
first visit to Somerset in quite awhile.  He is enjoying a nice trade through
the East.

News has been received here that Luther Hines, who was quite ill in Canada,
is some better.  His sister, Mrs. Eugene Bourne, left last Saturday to be
with him.

Chas. Cundiff is at home from London and says that he will now cast his lot
with us again.  Charlie has been helping Uncle Sam in the Census and has been
located at London.

Miss Ida York, who has been employed in Washington in the Bureau of War Risk
Insurance, will return home the first of next month.  She has resigned her
position to take effect at that time.

The Lexington Leader of a recent date told of the promotion of Gerald Griffin
from a Second Lieutenant to a First Lieutenant in the State University
Battalion.  Gerald is taking a course in Journalism.

Mr. and Mrs. R.E. Higgins arrived Sunday from Danville where Mr. Higgins has
been located the past three months coaching the Centre College basketball
team.  Mr. and Mrs. Higgins are planning to build a pretty home in the Gibson

Mr. J.D. Saunders of the Bronston neighborhood was in the city Tuesday and
paid up his subscription for another year.  Mr. Saunders said the Journal was
in his opinion the best newspaper ever published in the county.

Mr. Perry James of Berea is in the county this week looking after some land
holdings in the eastern section where he has about 500 acres he wishes to
lease to oil men.  He is also attending court here where he has an important

Woodson Many, who underwent a very serious operation at the Norton Infirmary,
Louisville, last Saturday, is getting along fine and will be able to come
home next week some time.  Dr. J.M. Owens accompanied him to Louisville and
assisted in the operation.  Col. May's many friends will be glad to know the
operation was successful.

On account of increased duties as Active Vice President of the Farmers
National Bank and Secretary of the Farmers Trust Company, Thos. B. Prather
has moved his office to the Farmers Bank.  Mr. Prather announces that Mr.
Gladstone Wesley will continue to look after the real estate business after
his return from Frankfort.

Mrs. Delaware W. Scott was operated on at St. Joseph's Hospital, Louisville,
last Monday and the latest report from there is to the effect that she is
getting along fine.  The operation was a most serious one and it will be some
time before she will be able to return home.  Dr. Scott is with her and will
not fill the pulpit at the Christian church Sunday morning and evening.

Mr. J.M. Acton of Eubank, was in Somerset Monday.  Mr. Acton called at the
Journal office and renewed and said he had been a subscriber to the Journal
for the past 20 years and always looked forward to its coming with much
interest.  He also stated that he was interested in securing some kind of
lighting system for the town of Eubank.


Mrs. James McCormack and son of Stanford were at the bed side of her father,
T.P. Tuttle, Saturday and Sunday.

The death angel visited the home of Mr. and Mrs. Winford Brassfield last
Sunday and took away their little four months old baby.

Dock Daulton has just returned home from the army and is visiting his sister,
Mrs. Dick Vaughn.

Fletcher Gover visited his brother S.O. Gover, Saturday night.

Miss Mahala and Nannie Gibson of Pisgah visited their brothers, G.G. and O.H.
Gibson at Elihu last week.

Miss Wessie Hays and Fred Cross were the guests of Mr. and Mrs. Luther Massey

Miss Maude Lewis visited her grandmother at Somerset Saturday and Sunday.

Parker Jones left last week for Oregon where he will visit friends and

Mrs. O.H. Gibson was in town Wednesday having some dental work done.

Luther Massey and wife visited her parents at Cedar Grove Saturday.

Bill Cowen, youngest son of Mrs. Cowen, died March 14, after an illness of
only a few days.  He leaves a mother, two sisters and one brother to mourn
their loss.  We extend our greatest sympathy to the bereaved family.


Rev. Shepherd preached at the M.E. Church last Monday and Tuesday evening.

Ray Estes and Lucian Carrier left last week for Hamilton, Ohio, where they
have positions.

Miss Eugene Lee entertained several of her friends Wednesday evening.  All
report a nice time.

Miss Maggie Horton has returned home from Detroit, Mich.

Miss Beulah Tilford spent Saturday and Sunday with her parents.

Mrs. Laura Pelton is slowly improving.

The Philomusian Society had a splendid program last meeting.

Rev. Paddock has been in town for a few days.

Jack Wesley had a sale Thursday and will soon leave for Cincinnati, Ohio.

Miss Maggie Horton delightfully entertained several of her friends Thursday

Demp Phelps and Grace Henderson spent Wednesday with his brother.

A big boy arrived at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Bluford Singleton Thursday

Lawrence Lee is hone for a few days.

Mrs. R.E. Todd was in Ludlow, Ky., tat the time of Mrs. George Baker's death
and accompanied the remains to Eubank.

The remains of Mrs. George Baker, of Ludlow, Ky., was brought here for burial
last week. Rev. R.E. Todd conducted the services.  Mrs. Baker was a member of
the Church of Christ of Eubank, and was a faithful member.  She leaves
several children and grandchildren to mourn their loss.  To them we extend
our sympathy.


George Stigall spent Tuesday night with Bill White.

Mrs. Bowan Gover visited Mrs. Sam Nelson at Elihu last week.

Raymond Stigall has the flu.

Jim Hudson of Waitsboro has moved to the Esquire Jones farm.

Mrs. D.S. Claunch and daughter Mabel visited Mrs. Lum Harvey Thursday

Granvil Lorton is on the sick list.

Mr. and Mrs. D.S. Claunch and O.L. Wilson visited Bill White Sunday.

Burnett Rhoton and wife spent Sunday with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Jim

Misses Mollie and Elizabeth Tate and Mabel and Thelma Claunch visited Mrs.
Sam Cowan Sunday.

Mrs. Earl Curtis and little son, Jack, visited her mother, Mrs. O.B. Vaughn
one day last week.

Harley Claunch of Waitsboro visited his sister Mrs. Sam Cowan Saturday night
and Sunday.


Theodore and Vola Stewart spent the weekend in Somerset.

Perry James of Berea was at Mrs. Whitson's Sunday.

Ben Harris and family left Saturday for Cincinnati.

Lee Sears and wife have returned from Cincinnati.

Noah Bullock has moved to one of Jeff Smith's tenant houses.

Mrs. Blaine Linville and children have gone to Frankfort to join her husband.

Howard Bodkin and wife visited at J.S. Stewart's Saturday and Sunday.

Edd Lovins and mother have moved to the farm he has purchased from A.W.

Frank Hansford of Somerset visited here last week.

J.G. Adams has moved to Coin and Virgil Hansford moved to the place vacated
by Mr. Adams.

Chester Harris and wife and Mrs. Sallie Childers of Plato visited here last

Miss Della Wright and Eli Farmer were married March 13th.  We wish them a
happy and prosperous life.

Lola and Maude Price of Welborn, and Elia Randall visited at Lucy Whitaker's

Abe Sewell was called here from Lockland on account of illness of his

Perry James visited Jeff Smith Sunday night.


Mrs. Myrtle Gossett visited her mother, Mrs. S.W. Todd, last week.

Mrs. Melisa Floyd visited her daughter, Mrs. James Hislope, Tuesday

Mrs. Louisa Sharp is visiting her friends and relatives here.

Kate Hudson is on the sick list.

Katherine Potter visited Etta Floyd Friday.

Mrs. Mae Owens visited Mrs. Joe Barker Monday.

Miss Mary Burton visited Miss Ruby Hudson last week.

S.W. Todd made a trip to Somerset Friday.

Hugh Fitzgerald visited Mrs. S.W. Todd Friday.

Miss Doretta Mills is slowly improving at this writing.


Kisarah Phelps has returned home.

Clarence Harper and wife visited her parents Saturday and Sunday.

Martha Inabnit was the guest of Opal Bray Sunday.

H.M. Stogsdill attended church at Whetstone Sunday.

Myrtle Estep left Tuesday for Cincinnati.

Alvin Phelps and Chester Stogsdill visited at G.W. Phelps Sunday.

Lela and Zula Hargis visited Lexie Steele Saturday night.

Willie Childers has returned from Illinois.

Robert Inabnit visited Mat Inabnit Sunday.


John Whitaker has returned from Ohio.

J.R. Simpson is grubbing for G.R. Broyles.

Denny Price has a horse for sale.

W.F. Price was in Somerset last week on business.

John Harris family have the flu.

Ed Carroll is on the sick list.


Mrs. George Barnes and child were visiting her father Wm. Farmer Saturday
night and Sunday.

Davis Bray was visiting at Rush Branch Saturday and Sunday.

W.F. Jones was in Somerset last Friday on business.

John Gegorions of Kansas City, Missouri, and Albert Richardson, of Cedar
Grove, were visiting in our neighborhood last weekend.

Davis Bray is moving back to Rush Branch.

Rev. J.C. Barber of Drum has moved into our community.

Valley Oak.

Farmers of this neighborhood are getting behind with their work.  Very few of
them have any corn land broke.

D. Couch, our merchant at this place, as been very sick for several days.

Rev. H.S. Measel spent Saturday night at W.C. Wyrick's.

Locie McKinney and wife visited at Wallace Phelps' Friday night.

Wallace Phelps and wife spent Sunday at John Phelps.

Mr. Sowders, the "tobacco man," has moved from here to a farm which he
purchased near Norwood.

Durl Eldridge has sold his farm to Tom Claunch, and had a sale of his
personal property Saturday.  He and family will make their home in Dayton,

Mrs. D.B. Wyrick visited at H.H. Buchanan's Wednesday.

The 9 year old daughter of Virgil Ramey, who underwent an operation at
Somerset, died and was buried at Flat Lick Saturday.  We extend our sympathy
to the bereaved parents.

"Uncle" Cy Spurlock who has reached the honorable old age of 92, is able to
be out and cut a lot of wood for the fire.  He makes his home with his
son-in-law, I.? Skidmore, near this place.


Clarence Rainwater was a guest of his sister Thursday night.

Mrs. Mollie Sharp is visiting her daughter Mrs. Witte Molden.

Willie Rainwater visited Bertha Rainwater Thursday.

Raymond Sowders visited Columbus Calhoun Monday night.

Martha Seivers was the guest of Dica Schoolcraft Friday.

Born to Mrs. Hershal Henderson, March 13th, a girl.

Carl Dick and wife visited at Elmer Schoolcraft's Sunday.

Willie Rainwater visited Ethia Rainwater Sunday.

Chas. Morrow and wife visited Mrs. Jim Redmond Sunday.

Mrs. J.F. Redmond entertained with a quilting party Wednesday.

Lola Light visited Gertrude Redmond Sunday.

Carson Dalton of Somerset was here Sunday.

Effie Collins visited at J.M. Redmond's Saturday.

Jim Hardwick visited Green Daulton Friday night.

Gertrude Redmond and Margarette Leigh visited Mrs. Green Daulton Friday.

Bannie Leigh is very ill.

Mrs. Whittle visited her son Roy last week.

Mrs. C. Collins was at J.M. Redmond's Saturday night.

Mrs. A.C. Richard has a full line of new spring hates for sale.

Oak Hill.

Rev. Jacob Mayfield is very ill.

Ova Cassada visited the Frisbie girls Sunday.

Mrs. Frisbie and daughter, Mr. Nicholas and family visited at Mr. Neeley's

Carl Burton visited Clay Frisbie Saturday.

R.P. Taylor and son have returned from Mississippi.

Mrs. Elmer Thurman visited home folks Saturday and Sunday.

G.G. Waddle and daughter Christine visited Sam Waddle Sunday.

Claude Jones of Pulaski visited here last week.

Jim Jones has the measles.

Angie and Christine Neeley visited Bertha Neeley Thursday and Friday.

Rendye Nicholas and Bertha Neeley spent Friday night with Angie Neeley.

Woods Burton visited his sister Sunday.

Mrs. James Cassada and daughter visited her daughter, Mrs. Wm. Thompson at
Somerset, Sunday.

Angie Neeley visited Rendye Nicholas Saturday night.

Everett Gholson and wife and his mother, Mrs. Bryant Gholson, visited Jim
Bryant Sunday.

Mae Frisbie visited Mildren Barnett Tuesday.

Mable Claunch was the guest of Lula Frisbie Wednesday.

M. Barnett visited Clyde Thurman Tuesday.

Ora Frisbie and Myrtle Bogle visited George Waddle Wednesday.


Mrs. Lucy Jasper and son, Marvin, were in Somerset last Tuesday shopping.

Most of the sick folks here are getting along nicely.

Mr. and Mrs. Acton Haste and children of Cincinnati are visiting her mother
Mrs. Sallie Davis.

Misses Anna and Coletta Baugh had as their guests Sunday Lou and Lola Dick.

Mrs. Mabel Jasper of Mt. Hope, visited her mother, Mrs. Nannie Adams,

Bud King has returned to his work in Oneida, Tenn.

Dewitt Spears of Bethel Ridge attended Church here Saturday.

Doile Dick of Mangum spent Saturday night and Sunday with her sister Mrs.
Effie Adams.

John and Laura Godby were Sunday guests of Ira and Lula Pitman.

Mrs. Mary J. Dick has moved on Aaron Hendrick's farm.

Miss Amanda Cooper has returned home from Oneida, Tenn.

Rev. G.F. Thompson preached here at Center Post Saturday night, but was
called to Cincinnati Sunday on account of illness of his sister-in-law.

Miss Amelia Carter of Mintonville visited friends here Saturday and Sunday.

Rev. John E. Hudson of Somerset was here Tuesday on business.

Sidney Cooper who is working at Worley is here visiting his father.

Mrs. Bettie Hays and children spent Tuesday at her fathers G.W. Adams.


Chas. Lathan and family have the flu.

Julia Davidson visited at W.H. Bumgardner's Wednesday night.

Virgil Hansford and wife visited their parents here last week.

Lincoln Lee has purchased the Walter Elrod farm.

P. Randolph and family are ill.

J.F. Vanhook passed through here last week.

Mand Carter has been visiting Mrs. M. Farmer.

"Uncle" Cy Sutnte is very ill.

Mrs. Ella Stephens visited her sister Wednesday.

Mollie Bailey has gone to Whiteland, Indiana.

Nannie Vanhook is some better.


Marion New and family have moved to Indiana.

Mr. and Mrs. E. Stanly of Waynesburg have been visiting Mr. and Mrs. J.A.

Rev. Duke filled his regular appointment here Sunday.

Ernest Pike of Waynesburg were accompanied home by Miss Myrtle Hubbard.

Ned Haggard of Tennessee was the guest of Miss Rosa Higgins Saturday.

Albert Bryant and wife will leave this week for Dayton, Ohio, to make their
future home.

Claude Jodes spent the weekend in Somerset.

Miss Effie Bailey is visiting her mother, Laury Bailey.

The little child of Bill Clark was seriously burned on the arm.

The many friends of Mrs. M. Peak of Waynesburg, were shocked to hear of the
death of her son, Robert Peak, who died after three days' illness.  The
remains were brought here and laid to rest in the Hubbard grave yard.  Rev.
Duke conducted the funeral services.


W.H. Griffin will offer his personal property for sale Saturday, March 20th.

Miss Ottie Griffin has gone to Lockland, Ohio, to assist in her father's
grocery store.

Miss Lela Griffin and brother of Estesburg, visited their uncle, W.H. Griffin
Friday and Saturday.

Miss Daisey Lee of Eubank spent Saturday night with Miss Hazel Jenkins.

M.C. Higgins went to Pulaski Sunday afternoon.

Fonzie Surber and wife spent Sunday with M.N. Griffin.

Mrs. Mollie Spears is on the sick list.

Terrel Spears who has been away at work, returned home Saturday.

Mrs. Jane Stout visited her sister, Mrs. S. Harrington, Sunday.

W.H. Griffin is preparing to move his family to Lockland, Ohio.

Miss Jewel Griffin is visiting relatives here.

W.H. Surber and family are on the sick list.

Clear Fork.

Carlisle Gooch has returned home from Indiana, where he was called by the
death of his mother.

Everett Hart and wife left last week for Indiana where they will make their
future home.

W.H. Acton has been on the sick list for the past few days.

A new girl arrived at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Jasper Prince last week.

Green McMullin will move from Eubank to his old farm in the country in a few

Clarence Griffin and family have recovered from a spell of lagrippe and are
able to be out again.

Walter Singleton and Miss Flossie Singleton have returned home from
Tennessee, where they have been visiting their brother.

Mack Yocum has been ill with pneumonia but is better at this writing.

The little two months old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. M.N. Ingram died March 11.
 The remains were laid to rest in the Clear Fork cemetery.  The entire
community extend their sympathy to the bereaved parents. 

Mt. Hope.

Rev. Waters and wife visited at A.M. Adams' last week.

S.J. Cox and family are all sick.

Shedrick Wesley and family have moved to Flat Woods.

Mrs. Susie Waters visited her sister at Argile last Tuesday night.

Mrs. Minnie Eastham visited her father Sunday.

Mr. and Mrs. R. Godby are rejoicing over a new baby at their home.

On account of bad weather, Sister Bruner failed to fill her appointment at
Mt. Hope.


Dr. T.L. Gamblin was in Louisville last Thursday.

Mr. and Mrs. John Sloan were called to Williamsburg Thursday to attend the
funeral of Mrs. Frank Gover.

N.I. Taylor and George Parker were in Danville last Wednesday.

J.W. Bell left Thursday for New Orleans after a three weeks visit.

Mrs. Bell visited her brother J.M. Lloyd Thursday en route to her home in
South Dakota.

Miss Doma Phillippi is again in her millinery shop after a three weeks
absence on account of the illness in the family.

Mrs. T.H. Grissom of Erlanger is the guest of Mr. and Mrs. R.O. Lewis at the
Seven Gables Hotel.

E.V. Nash of Sulligent, Ala., was in town this week on business.

Mrs. T.C. Sloan has been in the Gamblin Hospital having her tonsils removed.

W.B. Drake of Monticello was in town Monday.

Mr. and Mrs. W.W. Rew were in Oakdale, Tennessee Sunday.

The many friends of our druggist E.E. Kelsay are glad to see him out after a
weeks' illness.

Mrs. O. Roberts of Mill Springs is with her mother Mrs. A.B. Parrigin who has
been ill.

Don't forget to attend the "Minstrel" tonight.  Good laugh and good cause.

J.L. Burton was in Lexington last week on business.

Mrs. Mattie Hamel, nurse at the Gamblin Hospital, was in Somerset Monday.

Miss Elsie Cooper left Tuesday to attend the annual conference of the Woman's
Missionary Society which convenes at Cynthiana for three days.

Mrs. V.R. Southwood entertained the Reading Club Friday afternoon.  The
program was very helpful and delightful refreshments were served.

J.G. Hardin of Monticello spent several days in town.

Attorney J.M. Perkins' home caught fire Monday night at ten o'clock.  The win
was blowing a hard gale and the building burned to the ground before very
much could be saved.  The family barely escaping, the flames were under such
headway before they were awakened.  Mr. Perkins' law office was in his
residence and the loss is very heavy.  The homes of Dr. N.C. Stigall, Geo.
Thomas and H.M. Hale were damaged and barely escaped.  The fire department
did good work in saving the other homes.


The sick folks around here are getting better.

Mrs. Eattie Burton's father and mother, who have been visiting her for three
weeks, have returned to their home in Lincoln county.

Visitors at Mrs. Eattie Burton's Sunday were:  Cleofus Burton and family,
Ranzo Brit and Alonzo Tarter.

Charlie Tarter and Ouglia Burton visited Sam Burton Sunday.


E.F. Godby and wife visited at W.A. Measels' Sunday.

Charlie Bishop and family visited at D.W. Eubank's Sunday.

Dan Barnett was visiting at John Capes' Monday.

Mannie Bishop visited Pearlie Godby Sunday.

Stanley Godby and Auta Baught left for Illinois last week.

Miss Nettie Capes entertained several young folks Monday night.

E.F. Godby is no better at this writing.


Bartley Phelps has his new house about completed.

Vaulo McDonald is able to be out again after an attack of flu.

John Cottongin is clearing some new ground.

Very little farming has been done in this vicinity on account of bad weather.

Rose McDonald is slowly improving from an attack of flu.

A revival meeting is being conducted at Clifty Grove church by Revs. Cy
Whitis and Sim Holt.

Dr. J.M. Ratliff has been kept busy here attending the flu cases.  There has
been one death and that the little daughter of John Wright.

Dewey Farmer and Susie Cottongin were united in marriage last Thursday.

Pleasant Hill.

Several from here were in Somerset Monday.

Mr. and Mrs. Bonnie Roy were Sunday guests at John Holder's.

Finley Adams is spending a few days with M. Ashley.

H.D. Johnson of Faubush spent Friday and Saturday at R.H. Humble's.

J.T. Scales and son, True, have returned to Cincinnati.

George Girdler visited Tom Cain Sunday.

John Holder and wife spent Sunday at R.H. Humble's.

Rev. Harmon preached at Pleasant Hill Sunday.

Luther Baker of Ringgold, visited his brother John Hines, Sunday.


Mrs. Nancy Erp is on the sick list.

Robert Erp was in Somerset on business last week.

Johnnie Callahan and wife visited at Ernie Randall's Sunday.

A large crowd attended Piney Grove Church Saturday and Sunday.

Amanda and Sopha Davidson, Effie Bray and Dora and Estel Dykes visited at
G.W. Callahan's Sunday.

Allen Callahan visited Dora and Estel Dykes Friday night.

Hellen Hubble, who has been ill, is slowly improving.


Artie Hat visited at Jeff Hart's last weekend.

Alfred Below will have a sale March 15th.

Born to Mrs. M.E. Calston - a bouncing boy.

Lucy Hart is slowly improving.

The families of George Osborne, S.F. Larkin and Mrs. J.S. Marsin have the

Sweeney's Chapel.

Clarence Hubble is confined to his room with a stroke of paralysis.

Stella Vaught is ill at this writing.

Frank Girdler visited his sister, Mrs. Joe Davidson, Friday night.

Wm. Ping and wife of Dabney, visited Mrs. Florida Davidson Sunday.

Brent Vaught and Ida Poynter were married last Friday.  They left Sunday for
Marshall, Ind., to make their future home.

Maggie Phillipi entertained with a social Monday night in honor of John
Vaught, who is home for a few days visit.

George McGahan, who has been ill for some time, is improving.


W.W. Ware and wife visited her father, Marcum Gossett, Saturday night and

Elmer Johnson was the guest of Otely Ware Saturday night.

The bean hulling given by Ottie Redmond Friday night was enjoyed by all.

Clanzy Collins and daughter Ethe were visitors at J.W. Ware's Sunday.

Virgie Doss was the guest of W.M. Ware Sunday.


Homer Higgins is able to be out again.

Sarah Weddle spent last week with N.R. Randolph.

George Adams and wife of Science Hill visited here Sunday.

Frank Smith and wife visited at Walter Shadoan's Saturday and Sunday.

Lillian Smith spent Sunday with the Wilson girls.

Mary McDonald visited M.G. Higgins last weekend.

Burlin and William Wilson visited W.S. Wilson Sunday.


Last Update Saturday, 29-Dec-2012 18:57:49 EST

County Coordinator

County Coordinator:  Gayle Triller
Copyright © 2015 by the KYGenWeb Team. All
rights reserved. Copyright of submitted items
 belongs to those responsible for their authorship or
creation unless otherwise assigned.