Submitted by to mail list and used here with permission.



The Somerset Journal
A Democratic Paper Published Every Friday
Feese & Williams

Somerset, Ky., Friday, December 5, 1919.


The dirty work of the men who occupied the I.W.W. hall of Centralia, Wash.,
on Armistice Day is hardly equaled by any past occurrence in American
history.  To think that men could stoop so low as to assassinate in cold
blood soldiers barely returned from service abroad staggers the imagination. 
News reports state that "without warning bursts of rifle file swept the ranks
of marching overseas veterans" and that "from that building (the I.W.W.
headquarters) and the roof of a building across the street bullets came." 
The commander of the post who was one of the killed, had recently returned
from Siberia.  Another dead soldier was married two weeks ago.  An eye
witness to the attack even condemns some of the people on the streets,
saying, "just as the head of the line slowed down to 'mark time' in front of
the I.W.W. headquarters to permit the rest of the column to make up distance"
there came "from the roof and windows of the I.W.W. headquarters and
buildings across the street and from pedestrians volleys of bullets" which
"sprayed the halted ranks."  It almost passes belief that this actually
happened!  The punishment of such wretches should be neither slow nor
lenient.  Once caught summary justice should be exacted.  The I.W.W. and
their ilk instinctively recognizes that the American Legion is against their
policy of wrecking humanity and debauching life.  They have taken it out upon
the four dead men in Centralia.  It behooves every community in the United
States to make an example of the representatives of this organization.  They
should be forced to leave America, and we hope Congress will pass laws
sufficient to deport them and all other foreign miscreants, who came to
America from lands of abject subjections and attempt to improve upon
political theories of which they are ignorant.

In Memorium.  On Sunday morning November 16, 1919, it pleased the Lord in His
wisdom to take from the home of F.A. Ford and wife their little daughter
Helen Gertrude who had brightened their home for only 16 months.  Death is
ever bearing away the fresh and fair ones of earth and leaving hearts
bleeding and desolate.  Apart from the religion of Christ, there is no light
in the darkness of bereavement, but the word of God lights the lamps of true
consolation in the gloom of Christian sorrow.  Dying is not darkness to
little children, but the dawn of eternal day.  Ministering angels whisper
words of cheer, waving beckoning hands of welcome as they approach the golden
gateway.  We know He does not mean to break the strands reaching between "The
Here and There."  He does not mean - though heaven be fair - to change the
spirits entering there; that they forget the watchful eyes of father and
mother.  He will not take the spirits which He gave and make the glorified so
new that they are lost to me and you.  To the bereaved parents we give this
beatitude for sorrow:  "God never would send you the darkness if he felt you
could bear the light; but you would not cling to his guiding hand if the way
were always bright, and you would not care to walk by faith could you always
walk by sight."  Helen Gertrude Ford quietly fell asleep after an illness of
about three weeks.  Funeral services were conducted at the home, Monday at 2
o'clock by Rev. G.C. Sandusky, pastor of the Ferguson Baptist church, where
the parents are members, and the body was buried in the city cemetery.

Captain Flippin is Put on All Kentucky High School Eleven, Dexheimer Picks
Team.  Captain Royce Flippin of the Somerset high school eleven, was picked
by four of the high school coaches of the state for a place on the All
Kentucky High School Eleven.  The choice was unanimous.  This is quite a
compliment for Flippin and shows what the high school coaches of the state
think of him.  Humble, Quarterback on the local eleven, was picked for a
place on the second team and given honorable mention by several of the
coaches.  In speaking of Flippin, the Lexington Leader says:  Tackles - There
are several good tackles this year.  Flippin of Somerset and Dimon of
Louisville are selected for size, speed and aggressiveness.  Flippin is put
at this position by Coach Downing because he is played here on defense on
Somerset and on offense becomes fullback, where his 180 pounds give him the
ability to plunge any high school line in the State.  Coach Downing in
selecting his All Kentucky practices the strategy of the Somerset coach.  The
Louisville Herald says:  The best fullback is Flippin, of Somerset, a
powerful plunger and an excellent defensive player.  Card, of Louisville, who
is next best, has a tendency to run high and blindly that experience will
correct.  In mentioning Humble, the Louisville Herald said:  Humble, of
Somerset; Boldt, of Louisville, and Thompson of Lexington, are quarters of
unusual merit.  Boldt is the most finished player of the three.  He does all
things well, uses excellent generalship and is the best Louisville quarter in
years.  Humble is the best open field runner in the state.

Marriage Licenses.

Walter Lee Brown, 25, to George Anna Hardwick.
Robert Johnson, 32, to Minnie Simpson, 28.
George Morris, 32, to Armanda Rainwater, 27.
Mace Cline, 21, to Willie Baker, 19.
Harry V. Stewart, 17, to Ollie Hail, 18.
Charles Jones, 0, to Josie Turner, 21.
Boyd Sawyer, 18, to Bonnie Stringer, 17.
Lonzo Surber, 22, to Minnie Bishop, 22.
Jess C. Urton, 46, to Susie Neikirk, 36.
Wm. H. Vanhook, 22, to Ada Mounce, 19.

Cardwell.  The sad news of the death of William C. Cardwell, formerly of this
city, was received here yesterday.  He died Wednesday morning at his home
Oakdale, Tenn.  Funeral services were held Thursday afternoon at the home. 
Dr. D.W. Scott, pastor of the First Christian Church, this city, was called
to Oakdale to preach the funeral.  Mr. Cardwell was a member of the Christian
Church and during his residence here he was a faithful member.  Mr. Cardwell
had been in ill health for some time and had spent most of his time lately in
El Paso, Texas, thinking the climate would help him.  He grew worse however,
and was brought back to his home last Friday and died on Wednesday.  He was a
son-in-law of Judge M.L. Jarvis, of this city.  The wife and children who
survive him have the sympathy of the entire community.

In Circuit Court.  Circuit Court is grinding away with very few cases of
importance being tried.  Only two men have been sentenced to the pen during
the term.  One has already been taken to Frankfort and the other broke out of
jail and has not been located.  The docket has about been cleaned up. 
William Cooper was acquitted Wednesday for killing Claude Eads.  The killing
occurred at the National Cemetery on decoration day.   The jury was only out
a short time.

Rents Room.  The Kenwick Hotel has rented the building formerly occupied by
the News and will use it as a sample room.

Opens Shop.  Fred Starkey, the electric wizard, has opened a shop in the
Levine stand on East Mt. Vernon street.  Mr. Starkey has also accepted the
agency for the Delco Lighting Plant for Pulaski, Wayne, McCreary and Whitley

For Sale.  One three year old sorrel horse about fifteen hands high at Dykes
shop, Central avenue, December 13th.

Hotel Needed.  Somerset needs additional hotel facilities badly.  The
traveling public can not be accommodated.  The hotels are always over run and
many traveling men avoid Somerset because of the crowded condition of the
hotels.  A good opportunity for some one to make an investment.

War Time Fuel Conservation Order Is In Effect.  Stores Must Close at 4
O'clock.  Return of war time fuel conservation is in effect again.  The order
was effective last Monday morning, but was not observed by business house in
Somerset until the middle of the week and some of the stores have not
observed at all.  They will be liable to a heavy fine.  The order eliminates
electric signs and display advertising, limits industries, excepting public
utilities and plants engaged in continuous operations, a forty eight hours
operation a week, restricting hours of stores and office buildings to 9 a.m.
to 4 p.m. and theaters, movies and all other public amusement places to 1
p.m. to 10:30 p.m.  The order states that in case of refusal to comply with
these regulations coal supplies, or electric current will be cut off and
where it appears that a violation is involved, Federal agents will be asked
to act.  The people should do all their shopping between the hours indicated
above.  Shop early in the morning.

Personal Mention.

Mrs. C.W. Massey, C.P. and W.R. Massey of Danville attended the funeral of
Mr. Wm. Heath last Saturday.

Mrs. Bourne Gover and Mr. and Mrs. Victor Lewis have gone to Chicago, Ill.,
to attend the national Live Stock exhibit.

Miss Mattie Boone, teacher at McKinney, was visiting at the home of her aunt
and Uncle, Mr. and Mrs. C.P. Ware.

Judge and Mrs. B.J. Bethurum spent Thanksgiving in Louisville with their son,
Captain J.J. Bethurum.

Mr. William Upchurch, Whitley City, was in the city Tuesday on business.

Miss Cloda Ashurst spent the Thanksgiving holidays with friends in

Mrs. R.S. Brinton went to Louisville the first of the week to have her eyes

MR. and Mrs. Will Curtis saw the Centre-Georgetown football game on
Thanksgiving day at Georgetown.

D.W. Hendricks, Supt. Of the American Railway Express Company, was in the
city last week to visit Agent E.M. Rousseau.  He found the office in fine

Messrs. J.M. Richardson, R.G. Richardson, Thos. B. Prather, John A. Cassada,
and T.H. Reid left Wednesday for Louisiana where they will spent ten days
hunting.  They were joined here by a party of friends from Danville.

Miss Mynne Wager spent Thursday in Somerset and is now attending the sessions
of the National
Consumers League and Kentucky Welfare League in Louisville.  She will stop
for a day in Shelbyville before returning - Lexington Leader.

Mr. M.C. Williams received word that his nephew, Col. James McKenzie Brown
and wife, will arrive from Baku, Russia, on the 20th for a visit to his
mother Mrs. Cleo W. Brown, at Mt. Vernon.  Col. Brown has been an officer in
the English Army ever since war was declared.  He has been decorated twice.

Mrs. Charles Colyer is assisting at the Fair Store during the Christmas rush.

Rev. and Mrs. A.H. Davis of Barboursville, Ky., are visiting friends in the

Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Waddle have returned from a visit to Mrs. John Bowser at

Mr. and Mrs. R.A. Kell of Chattanooga, Tenn., spent several days with Mr. and
Mrs. J.A. Cassada.

Governor-elect Edwin P. Morrow and Mrs. Morrow left this week for Louisville
to spend several days.  Governor Morrow will address the Louisville Lodge of
Elks next Sunday.

News has been received here of the marriage of Mr. Henry Glenn Jr., to Miss
Lillian Gretta Williamson, of Clifton Forge, Va.  Mr. Glenn is a son of Mr.
Henry Glenn, who formerly lived in Somerset.

Dr. and Mrs. M.S. Hatfield and interesting children Elsie and Ernest, spent
the weekend in Jabez, with her parents Mr. and Mrs. T.B. Walter, stopping on
their return for a visit to friends in Somerset - Lancaster Record.

James Roberts and "Bo" McMillin of Center College, Danville, spent weekend in
Somerset.  Both of these boys have made a national reputation as football
players.  They came down to enjoy a turkey dinner which Mrs. Roberts had
prepared for them.

Additional Personals.

Chas. Moore spent several days in Monticello on business this week.

Mrs. B.L. Waddle spent several days in Danville and Lexington this week.

Mr. and Mrs. Hershel Humble have taken rooms at the Parker residence on Maid
(?) street.

Mr. Fred Kenney is in Wayne county this week on business for T.E. Jasper
Hardware Store.

Joe Hardin, a student at West Point, and John Cooper, a Freshman at Yale,
attended the Army-Navy football game in New York.

Dr. D.W. Scott spent several days in Louisville attending a meeting of the
Armenian and Syrian Relief Committee.  He will have charge of Pulaski county
in the drive for funds.

Miss Ella Gooch is at home from Washington, D.C., for a visit.  She was hurt
in a street car accident about two months ago and was in a hospital in
Washington for about a month.  She is much improved and will return to her
work about the first of the year.

Dr. J.W. Smith who is located in Montana, is home on a visit.  He will remain
until after Christmas.  Dr. Smith went to Montana three years ago and took up
a claim of 320 acres.  His father Berry Smith also has a 320 acre section
adjoining his.  Dr. Smith says that the crops the pat year were very bad on
account of a dry season.

Judge V.P. Smith has returned from Irvine, Ky., where he was called on
account of the death of his mother, Mrs. Mary Smith.  He has spent the past
ten days at her bedside realizing that the end was near.  She was 90 years of
age last May.  She was the mother of twelve children, eight of whom are
living.  Mr. Smith has the sympathy of the entire city in the loss of one so
near and dear to him.


There is a flour mill going up in Nancy owned by J.H. Stephens.

Miss Della Norfleet, A.K. Pleasant and Neal Siever were in Somerset,

Misses Addie McFalls and Maymie Ellis attended church at White Oak Sunday.

Miss Oza Pyles who is teaching at Pine Grove, visiting Mrs. G.G. Girkey, here

Misses Ollie and Fannie Wilson entertained a number of their friends with a
party Saturday night.

Mrs. Bertha Tartar visited her sister, Mrs. C. Tartar Sunday.

Coral Tartar has two cases of Typhoid Fever in his family.

Misses Mille Keyes and Fannie Gragg, teachers at this place, spent
Thanksgiving at the latters home.

Miss May Simpson who is attending school here spent the weekend at her home.

Mrs. Crofford Trimble visited her daughter, Mrs. Geo. Tartar, Sunday.

Harry Molen and Marvin Wilson visited at Somerset, Sunday.

Mrs. Charles Dobkins visited Mrs. Shelve Norfleet Sunday.

Bill Brown and Truesdale Wilson are on the sick list.

Misses Ollie and Flonnie Wilson and Hugh Carnie were Sunday guests of Della

Mr. Chester Ellis and Miss Cloda Abbott visited on Panhandle St. Sunday.


Mr. Marlon Godby of Beech Grove has moved to Rev. John E Hudson's farm here
which he bought of Mr. General Hardwick.

Mr. Richard Adams has gone to Cincinnati to work.

Misses Lou and Lola Dick were Thursday night guests of their cousin, Miss
Roxie Dick.

Quite a number of our boys went hunting Thanksgiving.

Mr. George Adams traded a mare to Oscar Hood for a horse.

Miss Janie Davidson, teacher at King Bee, spent the weekend with home folks.

Mr. Gid Jasper sold two shoats to Milliard Roy at 12 cents a pound.

Miss Anna Baugh and two little sisters spent a few days of last week at Dock

Mr. Charlie Leigh has moved to his farm at Casey county.

Mr. Ira Adams returned home Sunday from Cincinnati.

Mrs. Ida Dick and daughter Hazel who have typhoid fever, are slowly

Mr. C.C. Cooper and daughter spent last week in Cincinnati.


Mr. and Mrs. Aron Cox were visitors at her father's, J.B. Girdler.

Martha Wilson of Cave Hill, was a guest of her sister Mrs. J.D. Sipple,
Saturday night.

W.R. Robbins and family are expecting to move to their new home in Science
Hill soon.

Mr. and Mrs. Warren Baugh were visiting relatives in Science Hill Sunday.

Mr. and Mrs. Chester Hall have moved to the farm of W.R. Robbins.


Mrs. Frank Phelps is slowly improving.

Mrs. John Hudson and children left Saturday for their home in Danville.

Mr. Claude Hurt and grandfather left Monday for Virginia.

Mr. Moody and family of Somerset have moved to their new home.

Mr. and Mrs. Chester Burge of Science Hill spent Sunday with friends here.

John Hood made a business trip to Stanford last week.

Mrs. Perk Sweeney is on the sick list.

Addie May is some better.


J.J. Gaston of Tenn., is up here on business.

J.J. Gaston and Mrs. E.P. McCracken were the guest of Mr. and Mrs. W.H.
Surber Saturday night.

Claud Morris of Cincinnati came down Friday for a short stay with friends.

Hilton Young has returned home from Indiana.

John Baston has moved to his new home near Buncombe.

Fonzie Surber and Miss Minnie Bishop were married the 27th of November.

Mrs. Pearl McCracken and daughter will return from Ind. Soon.

Elbert Bishop and mother were visitors at W.H. Surber's Sunday.

Mary J. Stout, Mrs. E.P. McCracken and daughter were visitors at W.G.
Nelson's Sunday.

W.H. Bryant is conducting a singing at Freedom every Tuesday night.

Misses Elsie, Viola and Florence Higgins visited at the Bryar school Friday.

Last Update Saturday, 29-Dec-2012 18:57:20 EST

County Coordinator

County Coordinator:  Gayle Triller
Copyright © 2015 by the KYGenWeb Team. All
rights reserved. Copyright of submitted items
 belongs to those responsible for their authorship or
creation unless otherwise assigned.