Taken from a homemaker's project, 1940ish. It is provided to us by Sandi Gorin.
Knob Lick or Antioch, as the little village was first known and is still sometimes called, was settled about 1790 or possibly earlier. Austin ALLEN, a Revolutionary soldier, was granted a large tract of land from what is now Knob Lick extending to Blue Spring Creek. Another noted character that entered into the founding of the little village was Samuel SHANNON Sr, father of Samuel SHANNON Jr, who was later judge of Metcalfe Co.
The ALLEN and SHANNON families were among the first to build homes on this territory. The foundation stones of the old SHANNON home can still be seen. According to an article written by Ms. Esther CARTER, Charles Fontaine ALEXANDER bought this farm in 1874. The ALEXANDER family has owned it until receintly it was sold to George BALLARD. The house now stanidng on the farm was built by Samuel SHANNON Jr. The bricks in this house were made by the slaves. The WALKER and the CRENSHAW homes are two other old brick buildings, built of home-made brick, that are still standing in the community and probably a few other of the early building are still in use.
Soon after settling on this property, a plot of ground was given on which to build a Union Church. The record book shows that on April 21, 1838, W. A. ALLEN deeded from the ALLEN-SHANNON tract of land the plot of land on which the log church was built. The deed shows that Samuel SHANNON Sr, Lewis SLINKER, and William Austin ALLEN were trustees of the church at this time. In later years the old log church was torn away and the Union Church, that is being used now, was built on the same spot. We have been unable to find the exact date when the old log church was razed, but we do know that the erection of the new church was in progress in 1895. We have been told by older residents that this building was not dedicated until 1906.
According to traditions from one generation to another, the Church, being called Antioch after the Biblical Antioch, gave its name to the village that grew up around and also to the early post office. After a period of time the post office was dropped because a postmaster could not be secured. On being re-established it was found that another post office by the name of Antioch had been established in Washington County. The name Knob Lick was used for the re-established office, being named from the knob which stands about one mile north of the village and the swamp or lick, as such places were thn called, lying south of the knob.
According to the records of the Post Office Department for the period 1789-1930, now in the National Archives, a post office was established at Knob Lick on July 23, 1867. Names of postmaster and dates of their appointment were:
Frank S EWING, July 23, 1867.
Waddy THOMPSON, Apr 16, 1868.
Herbert G W BRADLEY, Nov 8, 1869.
Jonathan READ, Aug 22, 1870.
James L. RENICK, June 27, 1889.
William H CUMMINS, June 22, 1893.
John N MILLER, Sept 22, 1897.
Louis E BALL, Nov 21, 1906.
Cora C BEARD, July 22, 1913.
Kate T BARTON, July 7, 1919.
Thomas L GILL, June 16, 1920.
Thomas L. Gill was still serving in 1930, lter Christine BEARD was postmistress. Cora C BEARD is serving at the present time.
The old log church was used for early schools at Antioch until May 16, 1882, a plot of ground was deeded by Sanders WALDER and wife to the following trustees: B C HUFFMAN, Waddy THOMPSON and possibly John WITHERS (writing difficult for the homemakers to decipher). This land was located on what was known as the Savoyard-Tompkinsville road and jined by the BRADLEY, WITHERS & THOMPSON farms. The school house built on this lot was used for several years for schools. Later the school was moved to the building known as the lodge hall and the first school house was used for a dwelling. This building has been remodeled and it is known to a lot of people of today as the Sam JONES house or the tenant house on a farm owned by Henry JONES. The schools were taught in the lodge hall until 1948, when this building was torn away and a modern new school building was erected on the same lot.
The older inhabitants of Knob Lick are gone but they will be remembered as the leaders in the settling of the community. The SHANNONS are buried on a hillside, on the farm known as the ALEXANDER farm. The ALLENS were laid to rest on the W A BEARD farm. The date of the deaaath of some of these families can be found on the grave stones.
Jonathan READ, Downey HOUGHES, and J A THOMPSON, were some of the merchants that we hear the older people mention. Mr. READ was also the druggist. The SHANNONS and WITHERS operated the early grist mills. There havae been different merchants through the years, at the present T L GILL, Mrs. Harry BEARD and W H POLSON are the merchants. Porter LEE is operating the hammermill.
Knob Lick like the rest of the country was without good roads until in recent years Highway No. 70 connecting U S Highway 68, 31E and 31W ws built through the little village. Now the roads to Edmonton, Wisdom, Savoyard and Center are graveled.
Next week - Sulphur Well. SandiFrom: Sandi Gorin <email@example.com>