Camp Bradley, Lexington, KY
||Named after Kentucky Governor William O.
||Muster in site for 1st Ky. Vol. Inf.
||This camp was at the Woodland Park
Chautauqua Grounds. Woodland Park still exists and is
southeast of the Lexington downtown area, to the east of the
corner of Kentucky and Highway 1974 on present day maps. The
Lexington newspaper of May 1, 1898 indicated the Chautauqua
“tabernacle” was converted into sleeping quarters.
||From “A Splendid Little War”: The Spanish
American War and Kentucky, Kentucky Historical Society,
1998: “At the outbreak of hostilities, the Kentucky State
Guard consisted of three regiments of infantry and two
troops of cavalry. . . . Adjutant General Daniel R. Collier
was instructed to assemble the State Guard at Lexington. . .
. The Lexington Chamber of Commerce failed to secure a
racetrack property as expected, when the thoroughbred
industry insisted that there were ‘other places in Lexington
more suitable for camping purposes.’ When General Collier
threatened to move the muster to Louisville, a compromise
was reached whereby the Second and Third Regiments would be
encamped at Tattersall’s Fairgrounds and the First Regiment
at the Chautauqua grounds (Woodland Park). The encampment at
Tattersall’s became known as Camp Collier, while that of the
First Regiment was named in honor of Governor Bradley. . . .
Orders finally arrived for the Kentuckians to move to
Chickamauga, Tennessee. On June 10 at 7:00 a.m., a signal
from each regimental bugler was sounded and the tents all
simultaneously fell . . . and the Lexington camps [were]
abandoned. On June 21, the War Department had directed
Governor Bradley to enroll a fourth regiment of infantry . .
. . their point of mobilization was also designated as
Lexington, where they began arriving during the last week of
June. Their camp was established in Loudoun Park and named
Camp Hobson, which the men quickly changed to Camp Corbin. .
. . [After the war ended,] Rotten food, crowded conditions,
poor sanitation, improper clothing, and continuous rains had
led to outbreaks of typhoid fever and dysentery among the
demoralized troops left behind. . . . To alleviate
overcrowded conditions, the War Department established Camp
Hamilton in Lexington to supplement the one at Chickamauga.
The two troops of cavalry were also held up at Chickamauga.
. . . then transferred to Lexington when the new camp there
opened. Shortly after their arrival they, too, were mustered
out without reaching the war zone.”
||From Wright, Lexington Heart of the
Bluegrass, published by Lexington-Fayette County
Historic Commission, 1982, page 158, “The second regiment of
the Kentucky State Guard mobilized on the Fairgrounds. Some
troops camped at Woodlands, and a resident on Ashland Avenue
later recalled how, as a young girl, she made and sold cakes
to the soldiers.”
||The camp was abandoned June 11, 1898.