Greenberry Hall Arrest


FEB 6 1931





Greenbury Hall was held guilty in the Floyd Circuit Court here last week of manslaughter by a jury from Pike county sitting in his trial for the slaying of Edgar Boyd at Harold, a few months ago and was sentenced to 16 years in the penitentiary. This was the second trial for Hall on this charge,

a Floyd county jury previously having failed to agree.


Released From Jail Here,

Hall Kills Edgar Boyd, 17






Special Grand Jury Is Told

Hall Shot Youth without Provocation




Released Friday Afternoon at 3 o'clock from the Floyd County jail here, where he had been incarcerated on his failure to execute a peace bond of $10,000. Greenbury

Hall, 47 years old, of Harold, this county, eight hours later shot and fatally wounded Edgar Boyd,17, a neighbor, and within 24 hours after he had been dismissed

from the jail here was again jailed, this time facing a murder charge. Within two hours of his second imprisonment here he was indicted on a charge of wilful murder

by a special Grand Jury impaneled by Circuit Judge. C. B. Wheeler after the adjournment of the extended September term of the Floyd circuit court. Refused bond,

he was remanded to jail.

According to evidence produced before the grand jury Saturday afternoon and also taken by County Attorney Joe P. Tackett Sunday in the violnity of the killing,

Hall, after procuring a shotgun, went to the home of Johnny Hall, where young Boyd was attending a praty, and when within a few feet of Boyd fired the contents

of the weapon into Boyd's side. As the wounded man fell, it is said, he fired three shots at Hall, two of which took effect, one bullet striking the slayer in the forearm

and another in the fingers. Boyd lived 45 minutes after being shot and before dying made a statement as to the circumstances surrounding the affair. Sheriff B. L.

Sturgill here was notified of the killing Saturday morning at 1 o'clock by telephone and he and Deputy Sheriff M. T. Stumbo left immediately for the scene of the

shooting. There they were joined by three other deputies, Joe Sturgill, Basil Hamilton and Walker Hall. After searching Hall's home and later trailing the fugitive to

the bed of Big Mud Creek, Sheriff Sturgill wired to Huntington for bloodhounds. The dogs arrived Saturday morning and immediately took up Hall's trail, a maze of

tracks along the creek bed and adjoining lowland. Though the hounds had not actually sighted Hall, they were circling about his hiding place where he was hidden

in the willows along the banks of the creek. He surrendered soon afterward without show of resistance, asking only for protection. The capture was made at  1

o'clock Saturday afternoon, and at 2:30 he was in jail here. The following men, empanelled as grand jurors shortly after Hall's arrival, here, returned the indictment

charging willful murder: N. Y. Beavers, Tom Dingus, Lee Harris, E. B. Brown, Jack Miller, John Banks, J. C. Hopkins, Andy Frasure, Kell Spradlin, B. F. Combs, W. B.

Boyd, foreman, W. P. Mayo.

The burial was made. Surviving are the ill feeling existing for some time between Greenbury Hall and J. J. Boyd, father of the slain youth. Hall was held in jail here

under evidence produced by the Elder Boyd who sought to place Hall under a peace bond. Besides his parents, the victim is survived by a brother and several

sisters. Funeral Services were conducted Sunday afternoon and burial was made in the Hamilton Cemetery near Harold.





Jurors, Still Deliberating Thursday Afternoon




At 2:30 o'clock Thursday afternoon the jury in the case of the Commonwealth vs. Greenbury Hall, of Harold, charged with the murder of Edgar Boyd, had failed to

reach a verdict. Though a verdict may be forthcoming, those interested in the case anticipate a lengthy deliberation on the part of the jury before a verdict is agreed

upon. If agreement is possible. In presenting it's case the Commonwealth offered proof to the effect that Hall fired upon Boyd without warning, while the young

man was attending a party at the home of a neighbor. Boyd died almost instantly from a shotgun wound in the body. It was contended by the Commonwealth

that enmity entertained by the defendant toward Edgar Boyd and his father, Jerry Boyd, led to the premeditated murder. The defense produced evidence, in

substantiation of the plea of self-defense, that Hall fired only after he himself had been fired upon. It was brought out by the defense that Hall was shot through the

hand and arm, and the defendant testified that he fired at Boyd after revolver shots had been fired at him outside the house, where the party had been held. A main

issue of the trial was presented in efforts of both the prosecution and defense to establish whether the shotgun or the revolver had been fired first. Evidence

evoked on this angle of the case was widely variant.