Poplar Run (Baptist) Church
Submitted by Marie Nelson
was gleaned from several documents that relate to the early history of Baptist
in Fleming County.
An entry in the Fleming County Deed Book A-I, June 12, 1798 says:
“Lewis Craig was appointed as an assignee of Major John Mosby, heir of Virginia. Craig and Johnston, assignees of Simon Kenton. Whereby, he received: 25/60th of 30,000 acres of land in Fleming County on the waters of the "Licking River, Fleming Creek, Locust Creek, Fox Creek, POPLAR CREEK, and other places in the county.”
The Poplar Run Church sent messengers to the Association meeting with the Licking-Locust Church in September, 1814. The messengers were Daniel Moss, John Lee and Jacob Cord. There were 30 members reported.
The ground and building of Poplar Run was deeded to George Bishop, Henry Bishop, John Lee and William Metcalf, trustees of Poplar Run, by Peter and Deborah Johnson. The land contained one acre, 2 rods and 4 poles, on October 6, 1828.
The Poplar Run Church continued until 1868, when the remaining members united with the Flemingsburg Church. In the year 1817 at the start of the Big Revivals, there were 45 baptisms and 73 members; in 1818 the church had 10 baptisms and 85 members; in 1820, 19 baptisms and 101 members; in 1821, 8 baptisms and 111 members; in 1822, 107 members; in 1823, 107 members; in 1828, 188 members and 114 baptisms; in 1833, 97 members and in 1835, 75 members and 16 baptisms.
Members of the Poplar Run Church in September, 1814, Daniel Moss, John Lee, Jacob Cord, John Shockey; in 1817, George Bishop; in 1819,J.F. L. & Peter Johnson; in 1821, J.C. Lee; in 1828, J. W. Dimitt and J. G. Bishop and H. Bishop; in 1829, Truman Day and F. Hurst; in 1833, Thomas Caywood, Theophilus Doyle; in 1835, William Metcalf and J. F. Stockdale; in 1842. Elias Biddle, Robert Parish, T. O. Caywood.
In 1852 and 1853 there were no messengers from Poplar Run to the Association. In 1854 they sent E. Biddle and J. Hunt. In 1856 they sent Steve Biddle and Thomas Barton.
Around 1828 when Alexander Campbell came to Kentucky, preaching the Doctrine of Unionblisticism, which raised havoc with the churches, causing divisions and splits. Mr. Campbell had hoped to unite all the denominations into one. Instead, he succeeded in helping to establish another one. Only POPLAR RUN and Bethel weathered the storm and continued until the Civil War.
In 1868 Poplar Run
moved into the membership of Flemingsburg Church and turned over $347.00 to the
Flemingsburg Church. A. T. McDonald was instructed to use the money
belonging to Poplar Run, and that this church was to return the same when and if
called for. In August, 1868, a Nancy Moss was received from the Poplar Run
Church into Flemingsburg by letter.
Copied from material from the Library of the Kentucky Historical Society Frankfurt KY> MN.